Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Which is more important to you?

When choosing a cruise which is the more important criteria for you....

Food quality or quality of the entertainment?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Admiral

food quality
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Definitely food . I suffer from ulcerative colitis and I have to be very careful when I eat . Shipboard entertainment to me is basically always the same unless you get to see somebody like Holly Lipton or Marilyn Michaels .
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Neither - I do not expect quality food or quality entertainment on any vessel with a capacity of over 1000 passengers. I recently cruised on HAL and the food was 90% awful and I am not a foodie! Azamara was a glorious exception on the food front.

I choose to cruise solely on itinerary.
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Food!!

Definitely the quality of the food. Entertainment is remarkably similar on all ships. Even the famous Ice Show on the Queen Mary is just the same old stuff with skates. (However, the planetarium is something special.)

I certainly would not say, as one poster above, that itinerary is the deciding factor. I can arrange a land tour with a great itinerary, but neither the food nor the entertainment nor the amenities will match cruising!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Definitely the quality of the food. Entertainment is remarkably similar on all ships. Even the famous Ice Show on the Queen Mary is just the same old stuff with skates. (However, the planetarium is something special.)

I certainly would not say, as one poster above, that itinerary is the deciding factor. I can arrange a land tour with a great itinerary, but neither the food nor the entertainment nor the amenities will match cruising!
We agree to disagree! Fortunately one cannot access safaris in Botswana or the Victoria Falls from a cruise! The food I ate at those places far exceeded that of any cruise line incl Azamara

Each to their own!

Old December 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Captain

hands down-the food.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old December 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Food. We never go to shows. And even food is not going to be my determining factor on booking a cruise. Sailing Pride of America the food was beyond bad but such a fantastic itinerary that I'd book it again. All cruise food is mass produced buffet food and I think main stream cruise lines are more alike than not.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Talking Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
We agree to disagree! Fortunately one cannot access safaris in Botswana or the Victoria Falls from a cruise! The food I ate at those places far exceeded that of any cruise line incl Azamara

Each to their own!

Interesting. The food we had on Safari was ... well, the baboons on the roof who snuck down to snatch food off our plates were probably doing us a favor!

Of course, if you go with the top line companies on specially designed first class very expensive trips, then the food can be outstanding. The thing that I have observed is that the food on a mass market middle of the line cruise is far and far above the food on a mass market middle of the line land tour, and the land tour would probably be the more expensive.

Old December 7th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Interesting. The food we had on Safari was ... well, the baboons on the roof who snuck down to snatch food off our plates were probably doing us a favor!

Of course, if you go with the top line companies on specially designed first class very expensive trips, then the food can be outstanding. The thing that I have observed is that the food on a mass market middle of the line cruise is far and far above the food on a mass market middle of the line land tour, and the land tour would probably be the more expensive.
I have never had a first class very expensive trip - alas.

On my land tours in the US - evening meals were not included - just as well from my point of view. I find for me, in the US, I find portion size obscene and quality poor.

My cruise to Alaska v land tour - not a big difference in price; at least on the land tour you did not pay for meals you could not eat.
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Food:

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Definitely food. I can spend three hours at a wonderful meal with friends and not mind that I missed the show.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sometimes cruisers put a little too much importance on food, I've yet to have bad food on any cruise. Sure there have been things I didn't care for, but nothing bad. I do look forward to some good shows, so for me its 50/50 on food and entertainment.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Default Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
I have never had a first class very expensive trip - alas.

On my land tours in the US - evening meals were not included - just as well from my point of view. I find for me, in the US, I find portion size obscene and quality poor.

My cruise to Alaska v land tour - not a big difference in price; at least on the land tour you did not pay for meals you could not eat.
Well, we have never had a first class tour either -- but we like to read brochures!

Now when we travel independently, we have a simple plan. Transportation moderate, hotel moderate, breakfast and lunch starvation budget to moderate, and dinner wildly expensive! We have been to some wonderful restaurants. New Orleans is our Heaven!

Obscene portion size and poor quality refers to Red Lobster, Outback or Marie Callendar's. Fine restaurants are usually the opposite ... small portions of extremely good food. Try Galatoire's in New Orleans to change your impression of American food! Sweetbreads to die for.

Now -- sadly -- in which direction are the middle level cruise lines tending?

Old December 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Familiar Face

Food. I'm not a seasoned cruiser, but I think I'd be more likely to cruise on a ship with good food and accepable entertainment than I would on a ship with acceptable food and good entertainment. Reason being, I can't just call Pizza Hut while I'm out to sea, but I can always sit on the balcony and read my book or watch the sun set instead of going to the show.