CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Baby stuff? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/379559-baby-stuff.html)

johnthed0g January 16th, 2011 04:06 PM

Baby stuff?

We wondered...when you take a baby on a ship (we have just been for a month & there were babies) what do people do about baby milk & food, come to that what about nappies/diapers. Assuming a fly cruise with luggage restrictions.

Kuki January 16th, 2011 05:48 PM

You ship the baby and all necessary paraphenallia in advance to the ship in a trunk :-D

johnthed0g January 16th, 2011 05:54 PM

Is that how you avoid paying tips for them??

Mike M January 16th, 2011 06:26 PM

Milk is pretty easy. Mom brings that with her and has an almost endless supply.

You can coordinate with the Special Needs Department to have diapers, in the correct size, available for the child on an extended cruise.

Food wise: If it was like our kids and grandkids, once they started eating real food it was basically mushed up meats, vegetables and starches. My wife nor my daughter ever purchased "baby food." We have/had a great, battery operated, "musher" that makes great baby food. I think it now has been sold at a garage sale or buried in the baby stuff boxes in the basement. I loved playing with that thing. :D

I would think that the biggest problem is having to have a "kiddie corral"/playpen to keep the baby contained. The little guys disappear ever so easy. ;)

Take care,
Mike

johnthed0g January 16th, 2011 06:45 PM

Ah....interesting, but what happens if the child is not taking milk on "tap"

Mike M January 16th, 2011 06:49 PM

Once the "tap" has been shut down then the kid can drink regular whole milk unless they have a problem with it. There's plenty on board. :D

There's also plenty of juice and good old water on board. Kids don't drink enough water. I'm always amazed that if a child is thirsty the parents automatically give them a "juice box" or soda instead of a glass of good old water.

Take care,
Mike

nlb1050 January 16th, 2011 08:02 PM

If it is a baby on formula then the best would be powdered and bring a case of bottled water on board for it, since even though the ships do very good at desalinization there probably would still be a bit too much salt to use the tap water. I'm sure that this is what at least some parents have done.

Queen of Oakville January 19th, 2011 01:21 PM

When we took our first trip to fort lauderdale, my little guy was just turning 1. He was a hungry little guy and my milk was drying up so I needed to supplement with formula. I hated the consistency of the powdered stuff, so I used to used the liquid formula in cans. I had to pack those cans in my checked baggage. I paid $50 in weight surcharges for that trip. Fortunately, he consumed all that extra weight on the trip and we didn't need to bring it home again!

Fortunately, diapers are light and fit in a suitcase. I couldn't imagine the premium you would pay to buy those on board.

johnthed0g January 19th, 2011 04:00 PM

Our cruise was for a month, they MUST have bought stuff like diapers on board or would the cruise line supply them?? Too risky to take a chance on buying ashore.