Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default When is best time to buy specific cruise for lowest price?

How many weeks or months before disembarkation do you think is best time to buy a cruise? We want a specific cruise and don't want to risk waiting for a "last minute" deal that may never occur. But we don't know if there is a particular time frame prior to disembarkation date that is generally a best time to get a good deal.

Also, has anyone made a reservation early and then received any price-protection guarantee to get a refund if the price of a similar category cabin drops in price??
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:02 PM
Admiral

For us in New England there is a travel/cruise show in Boston mid-February and the prices and deals are dirt cheap.. Bought a year ahead of time a holyland cruise and it never, ever went down below what we paid for our cabin February seems to be a good month here.
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:06 PM
Admiral

When booking Regent, our cruise line of choice, it is best to book as soon as the schedules are released. The best cruises sell out very quickly. Regent also tends to raise prices quarterly, usually only for cruises selling well. Also, as categories tend to sell out from the bottom and the top, if you want one of these it is best to purchase as soon as possible.

I have always found it possible to get a price decrease or special included in my reservation as long as cruise is not in penalty period.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 11th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Captain

I know that with Carnival....if you book a cruise and the price goes down you can call your T/A and they will get you the lower price...the thing is, it's up to you to watch for lower rates though.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

There are many trade offs. The price of the cruise often goes down about 60- to 90 days before it sails, because that ios when final deposits are due and some people cancel.

However - this is not guaranteed and waiting may get you nothing. Airfare often goes up if you book it at the last minute.

The best bet is to just pull the trigger when you see a price that works for you. Either it does or it doesn't.
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:53 AM
First Mate

I booked through Princess and noticed a price drop the day after I made full payment.

All it took was a call to Princess and I got the lower rate.

Depending on which line acknowledges price drops for paid passengers, I'd book as soon as I could on a cruise that's important to me. If you're picky on your cabin location, your best bet is to book sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps.

Old March 12th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Cool

I would book when you feel it is a price you can afford. Usually prices do go up or don't change closer to the cruise . Our Sapphire cruise in Jan 2011 , the price didn't change right up to the last day . The next cruise the price went down almost 30% . The ship wasn't getting filled or sellin g very well .

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

The earlier you can book a cruise, the better. I like Carnival's "Early Saver" option, and wish all cruise lines had that option. If there is a price drop up to 90 days before departure, see if the cruise line will make an adjustment (either in the form of a rebate or on-board credit). If it's less than 90 days before departure, the best you can hope for is an on-board credit. As you probably know, if you're trying to save money and are flexible with when you can sail, you can get some really good rates during "Off Peak" periods. We once booked a Western Caribbean cruise for late Sept. at a really good rate, knowing that it was during hurricane season. Because of rough weather (10ft. waves), our stop at Grand Cayman was cancelled, so we had an extra day at sea. A really good travel agent will work to get you the best deal possible, but you should stay in touch with him/her to see if there have been any price drops.