CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Cruise Age Restrictions (please help!) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/380775-cruise-age-restrictions-please-help.html)

ladycheeba February 26th, 2011 01:48 PM

Cruise Age Restrictions (please help!)

So I just recently noticed that most cruise lines require someone to be 21 in your party in order to book a cruise (lame! why am I considered an "adult" if I can't do half of the things adults do!?") However, I noticed that you just simply type in an age while booking (could possibly just type 21). I'm 19 by the way. Do you think they would actually be strict on checking that? I know that some cruise lines will make an exception if the couple is married, so do you think they'd let it slide for that reason, even if we aren't really married?

I just don't understand why I can gamble and drink on a cruise, but not actually cruise! cruising is basically the most affordable thing for me right now, and it's basically the only way to escape the cold for Spring Break as the rest of the country is pretty damn cold still at that time. :(

Thanks for your help! :D

blueliner February 26th, 2011 02:15 PM

First, when you check in for your cruise you will have to show your passport or a Govt. issued ID and birth certificate, so they will know how old you are and if you don't meet the requirements, they will deny you boarding. Second, all the cruiselines I know of (depending on where you are cruising) require that you be 21 to drink and gamble as well.

Fern February 26th, 2011 05:45 PM

There's no way around this rule except to have someone 21 (or on some lines, 25), or older book with you. As blueliner said, you have to have a passport or a government issued ID (with picture and birthdate) and an official (not hospital issued) birth certificate.

If you say you're married they'll have to see your government issued marriage certificate.

Again, any ship that sails out of the U.S. will have a drinking and gambling age of 21, and they DO check. Your age will be imbeded in your onboard ship card.

My advice would be to find someone older to join you, or wait until you're 21 :).

getsy February 26th, 2011 05:53 PM

we booked on carnival and my DD will be 18 they were up front and said she can gamble but could not drink... and the it even shows on S & S card

LisaK February 28th, 2011 10:28 AM

ladycheeba, you can drink on the islands, but not on the ship unless you are 21, as for the gambling, i believe that you can gamble at 18, but you can't claim any winnings. The over 21, sometimes 25 rule came about because not too many years ago, the cruise lines allowed you to be 18 to book on your own, and unfortunately there were many incidents with drunken behavior and vandalism onboard, especially during college "springbreak" time.