Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Captain

Smile Getting close

13 days until my wifes and mine fisrt cruise 14 day Hawaiian the same cruise Kuki just finished. We received an e mail from Princess today it had info about are Cruise director and our Circle host and info about the enterainment. There will be a show that is called Do you wana dance?And one that is called Piano man that tributes some of the greatest piano players of all time like Billy Joel ,Neil Sedaka, Barry Manilow, Elton John and liberace sounds interesting to me. They will have comedian steve Moris ,magican James Michal. There will also be lectures on Hawaiion natural history and someone lecturing on crime solving sounds interesting to me. There was also a video on the nightly entertainment.They will also have some movies True grit and Black Swan. This is the secound Email like this one the first one was a personal e mail from captain( Just think the Captain of this ship took time out of his day to email me )The first email had a little history of the Captian he was in the navy in Britian for years and then work on cargo ships for awhile then moved to Prince and worked his way up to captain. Sounded like a very capable man. Can not wait to see the ship have never seen acruise ship before I heard the are huge and some people I have talked to say they take you breath away at first sight and another said that they are so big you wonder how they float.Well Ithink Iwent on for long enough I could probaly go om all day just so excited. Well I hope every one has a good day! And My wifes and mine thoughts are with th people of Japan who are trying to survie!
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The lectures sounds interesting (we didn't have the "crime solver"). As a first timer you probably want to attend all the shows; from that list the don't miss are Stever Moris, James Michael, and Piano Man
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Admiral

I love reading your posts. I love that you are so excited. As for the ship size, yep, the first time you see one it's awesome. You know in your head beforehand that it's huge, but it's something else to actually see the ship.
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Enjoy your cruise, it sounds wonderful.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Wasn't it nice of the Captain to send you an email!

Your excitement is contagious ! I'm remembering our first cruise. It was on the Carnival Inspiration and we thought the ship was huge. Compared to the newer ships it was tiny! As Moiraine said, you just can't imagine how large any of the ship's are. I'm still surprised when we drive up to the pier :o !

We love Princess and I'm sure you will, too. We've seen Steve Moris and thought he was very funny. He has a CD that he'll offer for sale (signed) if you're interested. I love going to the lectures. They're so interesting!

Have a wonderful cruise and come back and tell us all about it!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Took that same cruise in October. Enjoyed it but it was a totally different beast than our previous cruises. Being a 2 week run, and sailing during school time it was definitely an older, more sedate crowd than the usual 7 day festive Carribean cruises we usually take out of Galveston. Our cruise had only 8 children, and I think they were either infants, or a few teens from foreign countries. At 50ish, my wife and I were relative youngsters. We were surprised to find that a good percentage of the passengers were from Europe. Hear some neat accents around the dinner table or poolside. They found my Texas accent intriguing as well.

I was not real impressed with the seating capacity for shows at the venues, so if there's a show you want to catch, get there early. They do offer the shows multiple times over a few days to allow most passengers to get in and see it, but it was frustrating running from dinner to try to get a seat and seing a big pack already standing in the back with no seating left.

Not a big grand promenade type gathering area on the Golden (if that's your ship). I missed that. The alcohol policy was fairly lenient, so we enjoyed cocktails in our cabin before dinner. My wife got the coffee card and loved getting a specialty coffee every morning at the coffee shop. The fresh baked chocolate chip cookies there were great.

Steve Moris was also on our cruise. Very funny man, and a musical talent as well. Former Beach Boys band member. He did a second unscheduled sing along musical comedy show as a courtesy the afternoon after his main appearance and it was great. Definitely don't miss his act.

Movies Under the Stars was a neat experience as well, but the weather kept us from going more than a time or 2. The popcorn was good, but we always took our supply of cookies from the coffee shop.

If you get a waitress named Ireney from Romania, she is a real sweetheart. The Specialty Italian Restaurant is also worth a nights outing. The Buffet was OK, but the sandwiches and pastries in the coffee shop were great for a lite meal.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. I know this post has a few negatives, but we really did enjoy the trip, and you have a lot to look forward to. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Doug

(Just saw you are sailing on the Sapphire, and we were on the Golden. Same, but different.... )

Last edited by Doug S; March 14th, 2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Ship different
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Captain

Smile

WE chose the Sapphire over the Golden Because the Coffe and ice cream were free. But it cost $100.00 more pp for the sapphire trip so I guess your paying anyway.I also read some where I think It was here that someone received an e mail from princess that there will be 25 seeing eye dogs on this trip we never received one tho.As far as the coffe and ice cream being free that was at the specialty shops. Iam sure the is a little negativaty on every cruice but we are not going to let anything bother us after all we are going on vaction and are first cruise as long as the ship does not go down we will be having fun everyone take care Are thoughts are with the people of Japan that are trying to surive.
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Absolutely, there's good and bad points on every cruise we've ever taken, but they were all loads of fun. I just went on the Hawaiian Princess cruise thinking it would be just like the rest, but it had a different mood (which was unexpected, but just great for a couple of 50's celebrating an anniversary together). Not meaning to be at all negative, just making a few observations to give you the lay of the land. Regardless, its gonna be a great time, and I wish we were getting ready to get on board too. As it is we have to wait for a post Christmas, New Years cruise with the whole gang....

Doug

PS- Cruise tip: take a little battery operated lighted alarm clock for the nightstand.