Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Familiar Face

Default Chair Hog Solution? What do you think?

Ok, so I've seen a lot of different ideas for different ways to prevent chair hogs from staking their claim at the crack of dawn and waiting until after lunch to actually use them. Check chairs out and charge them to the room, timers, etc.

I have to admit that I have been guilty of the crime myself. But before I walk the plank, let me explain that I set my towel, shoes, etc on a chair so that they are not soaked or kicked across the deck while I'm in the pool, and I spend more time in than out of the pool.

That said, I think I may have come up with a solution that would work for everyone:

Instead of just chairs on deck, why not put out twice that many pedestal-like end tables (something about the height and surface size of a TV tray)?

You could fit several in the same space that a lounge takes, and they would be perfect for holding a towel, book, sunscreen, etc. Then, instead of a time limit rule for the chairs make it a "bodies only rule". An easy rule to understand and to enforce! All the crew would have to do is regularly sweep the area and move anything that isn't breathing off the chairs and onto a nearby table!

Folks would still have a place to put their things, and the only thing stopping you from having a chair is if they're already legitimately in use!

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Admiral

The staff should police the chair situation, passengers can't. I have no problem with anyone who wants to get up early to reserve a chair as long as they use the bloody thing! I can't be bothered, I like a leisurely start to the day! I cannot understand anyone who thinks it is ok to reserve a chair & NOT use it. We seldom use the chairs & have never used a pool on a ship (well once, years ago) as it is usually impossible to get one, on our last cruise we spent a couple of hours on a sunbed once out of a month on board, never got NEAR a pool or jacuzzi.
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Admiral

I read alot about chair hogs here .... but I can honestly say we've never had a problem.

However, we don't really lie out in the sun. We'll use one chair, maybe two, and put all of our towels and stuff on them, and we are mostly in the pools. I see alot of families take out one chair per person, and they never use all of the chairs. They could easily share, like we do, making more chairs availabile for others.

If we can't find a chair (I can't say that has ever been an issue) ... we'll probably just find a place to keep our stuff. I know on some ships, we have had to go up a deck to find a chair, but a chair is always available somewhere.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Admiral

While I understand the frustration chair hogs cause, the more I think about the more i realize how difficult it would be for cruise staff to police the deck chairs. There are too many chairs on large ships to track which ones have been "reserved" and for how long.

I think all they really can do is ask that passengers be courteous to one another, something many (passengers) seem unable to do.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Whenever you have open seating.... the best seats will go first, no matter what the venue. Early Bird Catches the Worm !

We try to stay away from the pool area and never have a problem finding a place to enjoy the sun.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
Whenever you have open seating.... the best seats will go first, no matter what the venue. Early Bird Catches the Worm !

We try to stay away from the pool area and never have a problem finding a place to enjoy the sun.
Sounds about right to be honest, as does the previous post about impossible "policing"
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Remember, the best pool real estate is subjective.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 9th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Admiral

On my last cruise I was not physically able to sit on a chair .However,in the past I could always find one.
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Fortunately for us neither hubby nor I actually go looking for a chair in the sun, we hunt out chairs in the shade so we do not have as much trouble with chair hogs. And it is really not easy for the crew to actually keep track.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring of Gold View Post
Ok, so I've seen a lot of different ideas for different ways to prevent chair hogs from staking their claim at the crack of dawn and waiting until after lunch to actually use them. Check chairs out and charge them to the room, timers, etc.

I have to admit that I have been guilty of the crime myself. But before I walk the plank, let me explain that I set my towel, shoes, etc on a chair so that they are not soaked or kicked across the deck while I'm in the pool, and I spend more time in than out of the pool.

That said, I think I may have come up with a solution that would work for everyone:

Instead of just chairs on deck, why not put out twice that many pedestal-like end tables (something about the height and surface size of a TV tray)?

You could fit several in the same space that a lounge takes, and they would be perfect for holding a towel, book, sunscreen, etc. Then, instead of a time limit rule for the chairs make it a "bodies only rule". An easy rule to understand and to enforce! All the crew would have to do is regularly sweep the area and move anything that isn't breathing off the chairs and onto a nearby table!

Folks would still have a place to put their things, and the only thing stopping you from having a chair is if they're already legitimately in use!

What do you guys think?
When not in use, they stack a lot of lounge chairs to save space. No place to store pedestal tables. Because of the counter weight needed at base to keep them from moving on a rolling ship, I can't imagine a design that would work. Perhaps a four legged table of some sort that that could be stacked.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Cubby holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
When not in use, they stack a lot of lounge chairs to save space. No place to store pedestal tables. Because of the counter weight needed at base to keep them from moving on a rolling ship, I can't imagine a design that would work. Perhaps a four legged table of some sort that that could be stacked.
Well, actually, a long rack with cubby holes would work perfectly well, no need for individual pedestal tables.

Then the deck staff can simply sweep the deck every fifteen minutes and drop colored cards or poker chips on stuff on chairs. Next time they come back if the card is still there, the stuff goes in a cubby.

Or turn the idea the other way and have a stack of RESERVED cards available in a particular color. People who go in the pool put a card on their chair. Half an hour later, the cards of that color are picked up and a new color starts.

It is not hard to do. The cruise lines just don't want to enforce it and make people unhappy.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Well, actually, a long rack with cubby holes would work perfectly well, no need for individual pedestal tables.

Then the deck staff can simply sweep the deck every fifteen minutes and drop colored cards or poker chips on stuff on chairs. Next time they come back if the card is still there, the stuff goes in a cubby.

Or turn the idea the other way and have a stack of RESERVED cards available in a particular color. People who go in the pool put a card on their chair. Half an hour later, the cards of that color are picked up and a new color starts.

It is not hard to do. The cruise lines just don't want to enforce it and make people unhappy.
Both good ideas.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

We have a rack for mounting folding tray tables here in our house.

It sounds like a good idea to me - You are certainly correct that not everyone swimming in the pool needs a whole deck chair.
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Admiral

I like the idea too. I am not one to lay in the sun for hours. When I go to the pool I plan to get in the water. I want a place to stash my personal items and do not need a lounge chair.
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree w/everyones suggestions for solving the occupied pool lounge chair problem. I also occupy a chair for my belongings and use the pool and hottub for most of my pooltime.

What no one ever comments on are the pax who occupy the chairs around the pools and don't use the pool or hottubs. There are many areas on the ship where pax can sun themselves on a lounge chair other than the pool areas.
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Familiar Face

Ive been pretty lucky on my cruises and haven't run into a problem. but then again, we're up by 7:15-7:30 for breakfast and don't leave our chairs until 3

Carnival Liberty, 1/28/11
RCCL 2003,2004
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Captain

Smile

Then again you could get a room with a balcony and have a chair outside when ever you want!
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:35 AM
Captain

So let me get this straight....people put their stuff on the chairs early in the morning to reserve chairs they probably wont use for 3-4 hours at least.....hmmmm seems to me that the deck attendants should gather all these things up and stack in a pile somewhere knowing that no one will be out sun bathing at 0900 in the morning.

tables would be nice, or lockers near the pool areas would work to put your stuff in.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Seems to be such a hot-button item, but I've never been negatively affected by the lounge chair fuss. (RCL and Princess). We usually get to the solarium pool by 9-10:00 after a nice buffet breakfast, and flop out in a few lounges. Almost all of the 'premium' chairs fill by about that time, but I rarely see chairs with stuff in them and nobody around (pool, hot-tub, up at the poolside bar for a beverage). Clearing the occasional abuser wouldn't have made much of a difference on my cruises.

Later in the day at peak times I often see people show up and walk all around the poolside seating, frustrated that they cannot find a chair. Thing is, I can usually see open chairs set back a bit, but the latecomers want that perfect chair right at poolside. They have unrealistic expectations. Can you show up to a hot movie opening at the last minute and expect to have prime seating? No... you'll be down in the front row. If I show up at a peak time, I know I won't have one of the prime chairs, but I've never had to look around for more than a few minutes for seating.

My experience must be unique, because of my mostly morning sunning, or maybe its that I prefer the adult solarium pool, or maybe its my choice of cruiseline.... I guess it could be different on a spring break Carnival cruise around the main pool, but those are the cruises I avoid like the plague.