CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Wine,oh yes please... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/385305-wine-oh-yes-please.html)

Trip October 4th, 2011 08:33 PM

Wine,oh yes please...

If you order bottles of wine for your dinner, on your cruise. What favorite are you ordering, or do you want to try something new? Although, with some of the prices, a safe choice, is not a risk.....Red, white, or what?

If you buy the wine packages, do you feel it's worth it? Pros and cons please?

7x57 October 4th, 2011 09:10 PM

I tried a great new wine tonight. Chateau Ste Michelle Reisling. Sorry I can't tie it to cruising.

Trip October 4th, 2011 09:12 PM

I enjoy that wine too..It's always a toss up between that, and, Beringers white zin..I always was a cheap date. :) I would like to do a wine tasting onboard.

Mike M October 4th, 2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7x57 (Post 1395507)
I tried a great new wine tonight. Chateau Ste Michelle Reisling. Sorry I can't tie it to cruising.

You will find that on just about every ship. It is a very good, mass produced, Reisling and we've ordered it many times.

My wife does not like red wines and prefers something on the sweeter side so we'll usually go with a chardonay, reisling, gewurztraminer or other such wine. Sometimes I get my way and have a shiraz or merlot.

Take care,
Mike

green_rd October 5th, 2011 08:09 AM

We have never gotten the wine package - we don't drink enough at dinner to make it economically reasonable. We just order a bottle at a time - usually something semi-dry - and drink it for a couple of nights.

Trip October 5th, 2011 09:16 AM

I too, just order a bottle, and, it lasts a few days Hubby does not drink it. I wonder if they offer very small packages, for wee drinkers:)

anniegb October 5th, 2011 09:21 AM

I am a big Italian wine drinker amd for me the selection is not the best but I accept that their clientele is largely NA and you have to accept that.

Consequence is I drink and therefore spend less.

Annie

LisaK October 5th, 2011 10:02 AM

On our last cruise, one of our tablemates who we did not know yet, asked around our table first night if anyone likes wine because she and her companion had received the wine package as a gift and there was no way they could possibly drink all the wine, and it would be a shame for it to go to waste, so i said yes that i enjoy wine and she said that was wonderful would i like some, so i was able to enjoy a glass of wine with dinner every night if i wanted to. How nice of her!

johnthed0g October 5th, 2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1395509)
I enjoy that wine too..It's always a toss up between that, and, Beringers white zin..I always was a cheap date. :) I would like to do a wine tasting onboard.

Careful, I was told off for saying we liked White Zin!!

Trip October 5th, 2011 11:15 AM

John, really?

anniegb October 5th, 2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1395584)
Careful, I was told off for saying we liked White Zin!!

Let it go JTD

Annie

johnthed0g October 5th, 2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1395587)
John, really?

Yep, whoever it was said NOBODY should drink it, as it was (fill in uncomplimentary remark of choice) I said that was arrogant & was told off by admin.
We find a bottle is usually the right amount, P&O do "house" wine by the carafe in half litre & litre size, one too small & the other too much. Trouble is the quality varies, they say it's the same but we don't think so. We too prefer the slightly sweeter wines like oaked Chardonnay, Reisling & Alsace wines...I do admit that white Zin does not go with a serious dinner, more just a ''drinking'' wine.

anniegb October 5th, 2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1395595)
Yep, whoever it was said NOBODY should drink it, as it was (fill in uncomplimentary remark of choice) I said that was arrogant & was told off by admin.
We find a bottle is usually the right amount, P&O do "house" wine by the carafe in half litre & litre size, one too small & the other too much. We too prefer the slightly sweeter wines like oaked Chardonnay, Reisling & Alsace wines...I do admit that white Zin does not go with a serious dinner, more just a ''drinking'' wine.

That JMHO is an edited version - the other party has moved on and so should JTD.

BTW I am not the other party.

Annie

kandajones October 5th, 2011 04:38 PM

I was almost driven to drink ( I wish ) after having had a couple of glasses of Barossa Valley Shiraz from a company called Pepperjack, it really hit every right note for me. So imagine my horror when I discovered that it can only be bought in Australia and a couple of US States. Not a chance in England. I even emailed the producers to see if anyone imported it into the UK, they said "no", but that I could order it by the case if I wanted at a cost of, I think, 108 per case. great I thought& started a reply, when I realised, that it was 108 (plus taxes) to ship the wine, plus the cost of the wine itself :shock:

Needless to say, if there are any Australian members reading this, then please feel free to hide a couple of cases on the next P&O World Cruise ship passing by ;)

Alan.

fun2cruiz October 5th, 2011 06:50 PM

My choices of wine: Pinot Grigio or Zinfandel

Marc October 5th, 2011 11:30 PM

I love a good Aussie Shiraz/Cabernet blend. I am partial to Penfols but others have also been wonderful. Sometimes, we will do a bit of a wine tasting at the table and have a number of good red wines out for tasting. As for whites; I can drink almost anything except an oaky Chardonnay but will order a Sauvignon Blanc if forced to drink white; Arlene prefers Santa Margherita Pinto Grigio but has spread her wings to try a New Zealand Saviignon Blanc.

KDGodwin October 15th, 2011 07:01 AM

My husband and I did a wine tasting on our last cruise, and it was nice! You get your money's worth for sure. Ours was 8 types of wine rather than comparing different wines of the same type. So we got to taste Merlot, Cab, Chard, Riesling, Pinot Grigio, etc. For us it was perfect to see what type of wine we actually prefer. (Reisling for me!)