Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 242
Default Oceanview vs. Starboard

Hello cruisemates!! I am taking a southern caribbean cruise in a few months and wanted to know if there is any difference in the view of oceanview vs. starboard? In the previous thread right before this, there is a picture of two cruise ships side by side. Any room on either side gets no view except for the ship next to it. I guess this can happen on either side of a ship on any cruise. So, is the view you get on either side of a cruise ship a crap shoot? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Kamloops Cruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,130
Default

I don't think makes a difference . The ships might be docked differently depending on what work needs be be done from the wharf.
__________________





Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,782
Default

Yes it is a crapshoot on almost all cruises and especially when docking. It is all dependent on what pier and berth the ship is assigned.

Starboard or Port are the same.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:44 AM
green_rd's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indianapolis (USA)
Posts: 5,414
Default

I try to consider the sunset. If we have a dominant direction I want to be on the sunset side Of course most cruises are closed loop so it evens out. Our last cruise was a repo - NJ to PR, so we booked starboard side.
__________________
Bob

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I try to consider the sunset. If we have a dominant direction I want to be on the sunset side Of course most cruises are closed loop so it evens out. Our last cruise was a repo - NJ to PR, so we booked starboard side.
That is good advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,884
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

It is good advice - it depends on what direction your ship is heading most of time and whether or not you want the sun coming in your window/door.

Just to clarify - "oceanview" can be either side of the ship. Starboard is the right side of the ship when facing forward, and the other side is called "port."

(Remember port = left, both have four letters).

But just because it is called port it no longer signifies the ship will dock on that side of the ship. I guess it once did (google it) but nowadays a ship can dock equally on either the port or starboard side.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 14th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Truck Cruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 831
Default

if you get a cabin facing the rear of the ship you get a panoramic view. We love those rear facing balcony cabins!
__________________
Live life to the fullest because tomorrow may never come!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newport Oregon
Posts: 684
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
It is good advice - it depends on what direction your ship is heading most of time and whether or not you want the sun coming in your window/door.

Just to clarify - "oceanview" can be either side of the ship. Starboard is the right side of the ship when facing forward, and the other side is called "port."

(Remember port = left, both have four letters).

But just because it is called port it no longer signifies the ship will dock on that side of the ship. I guess it once did (google it) but nowadays a ship can dock equally on either the port or starboard side.

I did not know that was why they called it the port side that is interesting
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Kamloops Cruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,130
Default

In old sailing ship days that was the side that always facing the wharf. Oldship had only one opening to enter and that always facing dock/port.
__________________





Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:25 PM
richstacy's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Denver Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,413
Default

Not sure what you mean, but I think you mean, is there any difference between the Port (left) side and the starboard (right) side? the answer is not really, but as someone else has suggested, look at a map of your cruise. If you will be approaching most of your ports from the north then the scenery on the approach is more likely to be on the port side. And visa versa, also as someone suggested sunsets are important so if that is important to you you may want to be on the starboard side if you are headed south.

I don't like sitting in the sun in the tropics so I always try to choose the shady side of the ship if we have a balcony. You can do tat by checking your itinerary map prior to booking the cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
Hello cruisemates!! I am taking a southern caribbean cruise in a few months and wanted to know if there is any difference in the view of oceanview vs. starboard? In the previous thread right before this, there is a picture of two cruise ships side by side. Any room on either side gets no view except for the ship next to it. I guess this can happen on either side of a ship on any cruise. So, is the view you get on either side of a cruise ship a crap shoot? Thanks!
__________________
RichStacy
Landlocked in Denver, but cruisin every chance we get.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cruise, difference, docking, forward, left, ocean, oceanview, picture, pictures, port, rooms, ship, side, starboard, view

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercury - Oceanview vs Deluxe Oceanview? whatie Celebrity 3 September 12th, 2010 10:47 PM
Oceanview vs Balcony maxibluz Carnival Cruise Lines 31 May 22nd, 2007 07:12 PM
Inside vs Oceanview Ewokdude Teen Cruisers 25 March 8th, 2007 10:06 PM
Oceanview Windows?? MysteriousVxin Chit - Chat for Cruisers 6 May 7th, 2004 11:31 AM
Deluxe Oceanview vs. Superior Oceanview chipburger Ask CruiseMates Staff 3 April 11th, 2004 09:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1