Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Titanic Memorial Cruise, a flop?

It appears people on the Titanic Memorial Cruise, were not happy with what they were promised, what they would experience onboard, vs what really happened....Also, slashed prices before the sailing, didn't help.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...ntent=National

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Whine and complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It appears people on the Titanic Memorial Cruise, were not happy with what they were promised, what they would experience onboard, vs what really happened....Also, slashed prices before the sailing, didn't help.

Passengers on Titanic anniversary cruise aboard Azamara Journey say company overpriced, overpromised and failed customers - NYPOST.com
Well, pretty much the same whines and complaints you can hear on any cruise anyplace. If a reporter wants to stand at the gangway and ask people, "What didn't you like?" he could get this stuff.

A lot of it just doesn't ring true. What could the family have spent $15,000 on a cadet's ticket for? Perhaps that was the amount the entire family spent on all their cruise expenses or something. Didn't get into the story that way.

And overpriced souvenirs? Come on! All souvenirs are overpriced ...

Seems anything with the Titanic name on it is somehow newsworthy.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Not exactly the kind of advertising that Azamara wants right now though is it?

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Well, pretty much the same whines and complaints you can hear on any cruise anyplace. If a reporter wants to stand at the gangway and ask people, "What didn't you like?" he could get this stuff.

A lot of it just doesn't ring true. What could the family have spent $15,000 on a cadet's ticket for? Perhaps that was the amount the entire family spent on all their cruise expenses or something. Didn't get into the story that way.

And overpriced souvenirs? Come on! All souvenirs are overpriced ...

Seems anything with the Titanic name on it is somehow newsworthy.
Very well said.

Slashed prices are also common for any cruise that isn't sold out. The goal is to sail full and make up the difference on board. If you are retired and/or fortunate enough to be able to book a cruise within a few weeks of sailing, of course you are going to get a deal. Its how the industry works. Land based vacation resorts operate the same way.
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I let this comment on the site:

For the record - this was a chartered cruise meaning Azamara as a cruise line bears no responsibility for promises that were made pre-cruise or otherwise. If there were no "Titanic" musicians, but only the regular ship's band, that is because the cruise line supplied the band even when they were technically not even obligated to do that.

I know Journey has staterooms for the disabled as I have been on the ship. If that person was booked into the wrong stateroom that is not Azamara's fault, a charter is responsible for selling all cabins and managing booking details.

As a journalist who started covering this cruise for CruiseMates.com long ago I started having concerns when the company stopped doing any public relations or marketing about a year out. Furthermore, I think the Concordia tragedy hurt a great deal since it probably turned off people sitting on the fence at the last minute.

Also - selling last minute cabins at a steep discount is common in the industry, let's just say I am not surprised. Unfortunately, those who paid early just have to live the deal they made.

Hopefully, the Balmoral cruise went better (the other ship in this two-ship Titanic Memorial Cruise charter).
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

To be clear - not ALL cruises get cheaper at the last minute, in fact some of them get more expensive than ever if the ship is already mostly full.

Waiting until the last minute is always a gamble in many ways - not always the best prices, the least desirable cabins, last pick of tours & special dining, etc.
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Last minute prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
To be clear - not ALL cruises get cheaper at the last minute, in fact some of them get more expensive than ever if the ship is already mostly full.

Waiting until the last minute is always a gamble in many ways - not always the best prices, the least desirable cabins, last pick of tours & special dining, etc.
Indeed, well said.

Marketing of cruise prices is an amazing and complex process, little understood even by the MBAs who do it, I suspect!

The big problem, as the original article emphasized, is that booking ahead may put you in a situation of paying more than someone who books the same category at the last minute. IF, that is, there is availability, IF the cruise line marketers wave their wands, IF the cabins "left over" are not the least desirable ones, IF IF IF ...

Many times cabin upgrades go to those who booked early. (Refer to some of my "upgrade fairy" posts ...) So in fact, if Susy Earlybird pays $3000 for a BD guarantee, and then the cruise line later offers BDs at $2000, Susy is pretty likely to wind up in a BB or a BA in order to free up the BD for the sale. It does not always happen but there is a fair chance, in our experience. Therefore last minute sales are not quite as much of a rip off as some people think they may be.

Many times a good TA can monitor prices and arrange for a good deal if the price on your cabin drops. Sometimes the cruise line will match the new price, sometimes offer perks or upgrades. Not always.

On one occasion a cabin we had booked early dropped by $1800 25 days before sailing. My TA, the best TA in the world (yes, some of you know my TA is my DW) worked and worked to get some accommodation for our unhappiness. We finally cancelled and rebooked, paying a $600 penalty but still saving $1200. We were not happy campers. Now if we had kept our original booking would we have gotten a big upgrade? Who knows?

'Tiz a puzzlement. You pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That is interesting that you chose to bite the bullet and pay the penalty - but obviously it made sense to do it.

Remember the days when Royal Caribbean had a best price guarantee on ALL cabins it sold?

Just imagine if they still had that. of course they had to do away with it so they could drop prices in order to sell out the ships if they needed to do so.

Just before they changed the policy they tried stablizing prices - choosing to keep prices higher rather than sell out the ship. It was a noble attempt, but guess what. They figured out that it is better to fill the ship at any price because people onboard will spend.