Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Familiar Face

Post Why do you choose to cruise as your vacation choice?

Not that I think there is anything better....
But of all the things to choose from, why do you choose to cruise as your choice of travel?
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Default I choose to cruise because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCMTravels View Post
Not that I think there is anything better....
But of all the things to choose from, why do you choose to cruise as your choice of travel?

Its the best value for your money . All you can eat food virtually 24/7 .Good shows ,plenty of activities on the ship .
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I started to cruise in 1990, after watching Love Boat reruns....cruising is good for me, as I am a type A personality, get bored easily ,and there is always something to do, or not to do...my choice. The idea of visiting so many fascinating places,and only unpacking once is great. So, after 22 years, I am still loving it.....the one last month, on the Epic, due to our illnesses, disembarkation,and a hospital stay in St Thomas,was the most eventful, and, we hope it won't ever be repeated..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 25th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Familiar Face

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I started to cruise in 1990, after watching Love Boat reruns....cruising is good for me, as I am a type A personality, get bored easily ,and there is always something to do, or not to do...my choice. The idea of visiting so many fascinating places,and only unpacking once is great. So, after 22 years, I am still loving it.....the one last month, on the Epic, due to our illnesses, disembarkation,and a hospital stay in St Thomas,was the most eventful, and, we hope it won't ever be repeated..
Glad you are still having fun. Sorry about the extra drama in St Thomas. I guess you can say you have checked that off, and no need to repeat!
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Cruising just gives the passenger so many choices, both onboard and at various ports of call. You also get the added choices of meals and entertainment, plus you can do nothing if you wish. I have to agree, for the $, it is a great value. I try to plan a cruise every other year with a land vacation in between, works out well. I also receive another week vacation from work, so one of these days it will be a longer one, something I have yet to do.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Admiral

No flying, we live near a cruise port, see the world but stay in a good hotel with reliable services & food, wake up in a new place every day, safe environment (usually)...easy too.
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Captain

We find no other vacation or for that matter activity to be more relaxing than on a cruise. Sitting on a balcony or a deck as the sea slowly goes by is like taking a sedative. Relax, relax, relax.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Familiar Face

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
We find no other vacation or for that matter activity to be more relaxing than on a cruise. Sitting on a balcony or a deck as the sea slowly goes by is like taking a sedative. Relax, relax, relax.
I would agree. It is lulling to say the least. To me the ports are a bonus to what the ship has to already offer.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

There are a myriad of reasons.

It is an overall good value.
It is relaxing and entertaining.
It is great to just be at sea but also be able to see the world.
Overall: The food ain't bad either.

I got hooked on cruising around twelve years ago. After my third or fourth cruise I developed a problem in which there are times I am not able to travel and need to remain in one location or be able to get back to the ship or hotel in a relative short order.

Cruising allows me that. In the event I am not doing well one day I can just stay on the ship. I may miss something but that's something I've learned to live with. If I'm doing OK I can go and enjoy the ports and see places I wouldn't be able to otherwise.

It can be a detriment for me to do a group tour or cruise line excursion because I may need to get back to the ship and you can't turn the bus around for one person. It isn't fair to the others. This is why we usually book private tours when we travel.

Overall: I just love to cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

When I cruise I get to relax. My wife can sit by the pool or in a lounge chair and read. I can't sit still nor do I like being in the sun too long. On a cruise I can find plenty of options to keep me busy. I walk the ship taking pictures walking to the lounges and stop by the windjammer. My wife and I are going to Hawaii next Month. Not on a cruise. She will be content to sit on the beach or at the pool. I will be going crazy trying to find things to do. When we decided on Hawaii only NCL sailed there. This year three other cruise lines have decided to go. So I will make do with the hotel and being with my wife(which I love doing).
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:05 PM
First Mate

I work in the hospitality industry (duh ) and don't exactly make a lot of money. Cruising is easily the most affordable vacation option for me living in the state of Florida. Day in and day out I am the one that takes care of the guests, so it's nice to be taken care of myself by such a dedicated staff. I don't want that to come off sounding entitled or anything, because it's not. Heck, I'm one of the easiest passengers a cruise staff can have. Never demanding, just go with the flow. Give me great service, keep my glass filled, and my bed made ... and I'm a happy camper.

Also, I have a lot of been there done that. My dad is retired USAF. By the time I was 19 I had already been to a good 3/4ths of Europe. Cruising, at least as long as I pick a route with somewhere I haven't been before, gives me a chance to see stuff on this half of the globe that I haven't had a chance to see before. Of course going back to the same place (like I did last December with Imagination) I was still able to see/do new things.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Admiral

HawkeyeFLA, do you work at Disneyworld?

Go Reds
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:51 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
HawkeyeFLA, do you work at Disneyworld?
I do indeed.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Admiral

I love to relax and there is no better way than to be out at sea! Also, getting to see different places isn't half bad, either. :-D
Old April 30th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Familiar Face

Thumbs up Love hawaii!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
When I cruise I get to relax. My wife can sit by the pool or in a lounge chair and read. I can't sit still nor do I like being in the sun too long. On a cruise I can find plenty of options to keep me busy. I walk the ship taking pictures walking to the lounges and stop by the windjammer. My wife and I are going to Hawaii next Month. Not on a cruise. She will be content to sit on the beach or at the pool. I will be going crazy trying to find things to do. When we decided on Hawaii only NCL sailed there. This year three other cruise lines have decided to go. So I will make do with the hotel and being with my wife(which I love doing).
I too am going next month. Will stay on Oahu (with fam) for few days then headed to Big Island and back to Oahu. I sooooo Love it there!!!
Have a wonderful time!!!
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think cruising is a great way to see the world. I like having the comforts of a cruise when I am visiting exotic places. It's like the comfortable accomodations and familiar (and excellent) food invigorates me for my touring the next day. In the Caribbean where it is more laid-back, I think cruising is the most relaxing vacation that I can imagine.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Have a great time on Oahu. I lived there for five years; my wife has never been to the big island; I travel there with my company so I want her to see all the neat places in Kona and Hilo. Cheers

Go Reds
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
I do indeed.
I thought so. Will be there next year with our grandkids. We haven't been to Disneyworld since 2004; I know they have added a lot of things since then; so it will be nice to spend some time there.

Go Reds