Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Familiar Face

Default card vs. full passport??

hello. we are hoping to cruise this year and while on the passport site I see that there is a "passport card" for MUCH less $$$$. just wondering if anyone has used these cards and if they were acceptable?? I understand that these are basically just for canada/mexico/caribbean and no air transportation... any advice much appreciated. thanks
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
First Mate

I already know some of the Cruisemates here will disagree with me, but......

I think if you don't plan on cruising outside the places you listed, the card would be fine. If money is no issue a passport can do so much more, but the card will do what you need most of the time.

My husband and I have cruised plenty of times with just our birth certificates and IDs, but we're thinking of getting the cards as back up. From Mexico and Canada you could drive to the border if needed. I don't know about the Caribbean.

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath View Post
hello. we are hoping to cruise this year and while on the passport site I see that there is a "passport card" for MUCH less $$$$. just wondering if anyone has used these cards and if they were acceptable?? I understand that these are basically just for Canada/Mexico/Caribbean and no air transportation... any advice much appreciated. thanks
I strongly advise you to pay the extra money and get the full passport. The card is only good for land crossings and yes, you can use it for Caribbean cruising but that's it. If you need to fly home from a Caribbean island you will still need to get a passport or "dispensation" from the State Department.

Also: The full passport is the best form of ID you can have. It will work for your I9 when you start a new job and is the quintessential proof of citizenship.

It also allows you to take advantage of that low price European cruise when it comes up.

Get the passport. Other than that initial outlay of money you won't regret it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Talking

Get the passport. It is the best for tourists.

Besides serving for border crossings it is your ID in many situations.

The crossing cards are basically for business men who are making frequent cross border trips.

And chances are that you will love your cruise so much that you will want to do a lot of others in the next 10 years. When you cruise to the Med, the Baltic, the Pacific, Antarctica, South America, Africa --

You will need the passport!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Familiar Face

well, I think you guys are more optimistic about my cruising future than I am, but I do see the logic of your advice. the actual ($$$$) passport seems like the better choice. Thanks so much for your help.
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM
First Mate

The card is only good for land crossings. You need a passport for the ship..

CarnivalTriumph
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Admiral

I agree with everyone ,get the passport .
Old June 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Familiar Face

What do you mean by land crossings? On a cruise there are no land crossings. If for some reason you need to fly out of an island or country, you'll need a passport. Save yourself the drama and get a passport, you won't regret it.
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Passport is the best. Crossing from Canada to the US the best ID is a passport but Passport card will do. If you have to fly into the US from Canada , Mexico or the Caribbean a passport is the only acceptable form of ID. You can thank the US government and 911 for this.
The US government brought in the WHTI Act which requires all people entering to have appropriate ID (passports & Visa's).

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Familiar Face

We took the plunge and went for the passports yesterday!! Yikes!! for 3 of us it was quite a bit!! But, glad it's done. thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts!!