Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Familiar Face

Default Currency exchange

I have heard that the cruise lines are no longer allowed to do foreign currency exchange is this true??. We did a baltic cruise 4 years ago and we could do this. this year we're doing a med cruise and thought we might use that service if we needed to. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Admiral

No law against it; I have gotten foreign currency on recent cruises; however, individual cruise lines may have their own policies.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 17th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Admiral

I haven't read anything that cruise lines have stopped this and would be shocked if they did

Just saw you're in BC. If you're close to Vancouver, do your currency exchange here at Vancouver Buillion, their rates are awesome

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I haven't seen or heard of ships no longer doing currency exchange. I do know that they have a limited amount of currencies available. On my Baltic cruise the only currency that was available was Euros. Rubles and Kroners were not available.

On my HAL, Asia cruise they had no currency exchange for yuan or HK dollars.

It really depends on the ship and the itinerary.

My "guess" is that Euros would be available on a Mediterranean cruise.

I advocate obtaining your currency using an ATM, at a bank ATM, when you arrive or go ashore.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I second Mike's recommendation to use an ATM after arrival for foreign currency; much easier and a much much better exchange rate.

As for choice of currencies, it varies by cruise. Like Mike, we just had Euros onboard for Baltic Cruise. In Asia, we had three different setups last year: Australian Dollars were onboard; in Bali and Phillipines a local money changer came onboard; in Taiwan they had the moneychanger in the terminal when you debarked. All worked fine.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old June 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Actually guys, if he's in Vancouver he can do better at home. We have an awesome exchange place. So while an ATM is a better option for some, not everyone falls into that position.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Actually guys, if he's in Vancouver he can do better at home. We have an awesome exchange place. So while an ATM is a better option for some, not everyone falls into that position.
Don't think they can match "mid-market" rates. Fees don't matter when many bankis/financial institutions refund the fees so there is no beating mid-market.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old June 17th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Admiral

If you use your credit card at an ATM you may get hit with a cash advance fee and be charged interest from the moment you make the withdraw.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 17th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
If you use your credit card at an ATM you may get hit with a cash advance fee and be charged interest from the moment you make the withdraw.
If you are foolish enough to use your credit card at an ATM you deserve to be fleeced.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old June 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

When using an ATM don't use your credit card unless it's a dire emergency. Use your ATM/Debit card.

I have a separate account for travel and use the ATM card for that account. If it's lost or stolen they can't drain all of my accounts and I can move money into it as needed online or by phone.

Also, check with your bank to see if they charge a foreign transaction fee and if your bank charges for using another bank's ATM.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Don't think they can match "mid-market" rates. Fees don't matter when many bankis/financial institutions refund the fees so there is no beating mid-market.
Your bank refunds the fees. the OPs may not. The exchange place we have beats the pants off the banks. It's good tomhavemoptions...ATMs are great and the cheapest way to get Euros away, but we can do pretty well at home too.

I only bring up getting them at home as I saw the OP is in BC. Most people don't have the options that we do.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I have a separate account for travel and use the ATM card for that account. If it's lost or stolen they can't drain all of my accounts and I can move money into it as needed online or by phone.
I may just steal that idea. :P