CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   What do you do if a relative is kidnapped on a cruise? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/390836-what-do-you-do-if-relative-kidnapped-cruise.html)

amiable July 25th, 2012 08:56 AM

What do you do if a relative is kidnapped on a cruise?

What would you do if a family member is kidnapped while cruising and you received a call or email demanding ransom?

Who do you contact? I would think you would probably contact local authorities and cruise ship to get confirmation about the crime. Would you then contact the FBI? Interpol? the U.S. diplomatic corps? a senator?

What else would you do?

aerospace July 25th, 2012 09:19 AM

I would imagine the US Embassy?

Kuki July 25th, 2012 11:01 AM

In over a decade of covering the cruise industry, I've never heard of a case of someone being kidnapped on a cruise ship.

The logistics of removing someone from the ship undetected make it a very unlikely scenario.

It is much more possible someone would be kidnapped on land; possibly in a port of call.

In that case I'd imagine one would have to start with notifying local authorities, and in addition, one would probably be wise to notify the State Department or representatives of the government you are a citizen of.

gingcruise July 25th, 2012 11:11 AM

Oh, no. Not very encouraging seeing this post. Yikes! Coming from someone who's a newbee cruiser.

Donna July 25th, 2012 11:32 AM

I wouldn't worry, like Kuki said, it is highly unlikely that this would happen...

BigMac July 25th, 2012 11:37 AM

The answer to your question depends... Is the family member my mother in law?

:twisted:

ruthlessboss July 25th, 2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingcruise (Post 1439913)
Oh, no. Not very encouraging seeing this post. Yikes! Coming from someone who's a newbee cruiser.

Never heard of a kidnapping, but anything, anywhere, is possible. Your own local news is a wake up call.:shock: Some Islands are less civil if you wander away from the port, best to stay with someone anyway.

If you've never been to Nassau, and go thru the building, you'll be bombarded with many people trying to get you to book thru them, just say no, or keep walking. Same for the straw market.

gingcruise July 25th, 2012 12:06 PM

Thanks for the warning. I've been in that kind of scenario when I travelled by myself in Morocco from Spain. Locals drew to you like flies selling stuff. I will just be prepared then in Nassau.

omnipotent July 26th, 2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1439912)
In over a decade of covering the cruise industry, I've never heard of a case of someone being kidnapped on a cruise ship.

The logistics of removing someone from the ship undetected make it a very unlikely scenario.

It is much more possible someone would be kidnapped on land; possibly in a port of call.

In that case I'd imagine one would have to start with notifying local authorities, and in addition, one would probably be wise to notify the State Department or representatives of the government you are a citizen of.

The original inquiry was what if you receive a phone call or email demanding
ransom for a kidnapped person. The question was not if the person was on a ship or on an island. Anybody who kidnaps somebody on a ship is crazy. Although if you look at the statistics about people missing from cruise ships might lead to another question about ship security, but that is another matter. The experts might want to discuss this question.

How about this for a scenario. What do you do if you do get a ransom phone call or email and there is a time deadline which is short and the "kidnapped" person is known to be traveling in the area where the phone call or email originated? The payment is to be made in some remote Jamaican town. You have called the local authorities, They tell you you have a choice pay the ransom and they will track the money or donot pay the ransom. The person kidnapped is a much loved mother-in-law and your wife is going to make your life hell if you don't save her and the ransom is only a thousand dollars. What do you do?

BigMac July 26th, 2012 08:56 AM

Hmmm, it's my mother in law. My wife will make my life hell. Hmmm

I would have to refuse their offer. I want at least 2 thousand to take her back. I'll take my chances with my wife rofl

Bruce Chafkin1 July 29th, 2012 11:52 AM

Whenever I am on a cruise and someone kidnaps a relative, I follow the same protocols I use when aliens abduct them.

Truck Cruiser July 30th, 2012 02:24 AM

If it's a good looking lady doing the kidnapping, I would volunteer to be the kidnapee!

Mike M July 30th, 2012 04:43 AM

It depends on the relative. Mother-In-Law or some of my cousins then it's party time. Anyone else, call the FBI. They would have jurisdiction and the ability to work with foreign officials.

BTW: This probably has never happened on a cruise ship. As Bruce said: It would be about as common as alien abduction.

Take care,
Mike

zydecocruiser August 2nd, 2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiable (Post 1439898)
What would you do if a family member is kidnapped while cruising and you received a call or email demanding ransom?

Who do you contact? I would think you would probably contact local authorities and cruise ship to get confirmation about the crime. Would you then contact the FBI? Interpol? the U.S. diplomatic corps? a senator?

What else would you do?

Is this a relative I like, a mother-in-law, or what ? roflroflrofl

zydecocruiser August 2nd, 2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1440634)
It depends on the relative. Mother-In-Law or some of my cousins then it's party time. Anyone else, call the FBI. They would have jurisdiction and the ability to work with foreign officials.

BTW: This probably has never happened on a cruise ship. As Bruce said: It would be about as common as alien abduction.

Take care,
Mike

oh, I see this is a common thought.