Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default No whining;)

Years ago, when we dined in the traditional ships dining room, with the same table every night, if you bought a bottle of wine, it was shared with the table, almost automatically. Others did the same as well.

I noticed in past cruises, now with so many different dining options, things have changed?

Have you noticed too? If you buy a bottle is your first thought to offer a glass?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Linda, I have never seen a bottle of wine that I could get eight glasses out of (ok, a magnum or larger). I don't know why it would be expected to share a bottle of wine with whole table.

Now, when we splurge for a nice wine; we do get enough for the table but those are rare occasions.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have never had an entire table take me up on a glass.. It was something people did back in "the day." An ice breaker, a get to know you better offer, just something nice that seems to have disappeared.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 3rd, 2013, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I've offered to share when we have purchased a bottle. Sometimes people have accepted and other times they haven't. There was one time on a "certain" cruise where we purchased a bottle of Riesling and offered to share. It was a larger table and one of our table mates poured himself a FULL glass, took one drink and loudly proclaimed: "This stuff tastes like sh**." and never drank it. The wine was perfectly fine. His behavior irritated me. Others at the table had no wine because of him so I felt obligated to order a second bottle. The kicker was when his wife helped herself to the second bottle but left his glass sitting full.

When we cruised Asia on Statendam we had a wonderful group of table mates and each night we took turns ordering wine. It was a fourteen day cruise and we all were permanent guests at the Captains table so on half the nights the wine was free.

We use to drink more wine but in the last few years we drink very little and order very little on board. In some specialty restaurants we may order a bottle but I can't remember ordering wine in the main dining room in the last four or five years.

A lot of the "cruise etiquette" like, sharing wine, let your table mates know if you aren't going to be there the next night, call the maitre 'd if you aren't going to be there, make sure you are dressed "just so", provide witty but non-offensive humor and conversation, became tiring and too many rules. That is why we do enjoy open seating dining. Yes, you get the same initial questions of "Where are you from? What do you do?" but after the first couple of minutes you can meet some new and interesting people. We have also met interesting people by the pool or in other venues and love to be able to enjoy dinner with them. It's a nice concept.

The good old days were nice but, like most nostalgia, not as good as we remember.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me