CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   The Tablecloths Are Going Away On Carnival (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/400172-tablecloths-going-away-carnival.html)

Mike M December 10th, 2013 01:37 PM

The Tablecloths Are Going Away On Carnival

It looks like with the introduction of the new "American" menus, Carnival has gone one step farther and removed the tablecloths from the dining room tables.

I've seen a couple of pictures and it reminds me of a standard TGI McThirsty's table setting.

I don't know why but this really bothers me. I haven't experienced it first hand but the "idea" bothers me a great deal.

I can only see it as a purely cost cutting move. There will be time saved in not having to pull table cloths and recover the tables between services. Less waitstaff would be required. They will no longer have to launder the hundreds of table cloths per day. This saves money on water usage, laundry facilities and fewer laundry staff. This may be great for the company but I don't see it as great for the cruise experience.

I have often made the kidding remark that the cruise dining experience would turn into a night out at Cracker Barrel. BTW: I like Cracker Barrel, but not on a cruise ship. It looks like my kidding is becoming the reality.

What do you think?

Take care,
Mike

Donna December 10th, 2013 02:41 PM

What is next, plastic silverware??? This also bothers me as well, the tables I've seen underneath the clothes are just plain almost plywood??

Manuel December 10th, 2013 06:21 PM

I hopes it does not spread to other cruiselines.

If this trend continues it will be like going on a troop carrier. At least when I did that I did not pay for it.
Actually Uncle Sam was paying me. Not much but I was getting a few dollars a day.

TM

Travelbuggs December 31st, 2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1491017)
What is next, plastic silverware??? This also bothers me as well, the tables I've seen underneath the clothes are just plain almost plywood??

Next they'll be using paper plates!! I can understand cost saving measures, but that seems like a really dumb one which will really impact the dining experience. One more reason to add to my list of "why I don't do Carnival anymore".

storybookcruises.com December 31st, 2013 10:06 PM

It's not only the tablecloths, which will now only be used for formal nights, but you'll also not get all the flatware either. We had one fork, one knife, and no butter knife.

So while they're calling it a new 'concept', it's a fancy way of saying they're doing everything they can to cut costs and make the dining experience less of an experience than it use to be.

Pete

Surfguyxxx1 January 1st, 2014 01:39 AM

I am so biting my tongue right now, I can't speak. REALLY????? Paper napkins soon? TP next? No sheets on the bed? Don't get me started''''':x:confused::mad:

Kuki January 1st, 2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1492225)
It's not only the tablecloths, which will now only be used for formal nights, but you'll also not get all the flatware either. We had one fork, one knife, and no butter knife.

So while they're calling it a new 'concept', it's a fancy way of saying they're doing everything they can to cut costs and make the dining experience less of an experience than it use to be.

Pete

That has been Carnival's system with cutlery for quite some time...like several years.

Depending on what courses you partake in, they supply appropriate cutlery when serving it.

Makes some sense actually, so they are not rewashing a bunch of cutlery that hasn't been used.

dorothys56 January 25th, 2014 09:20 PM

Say it isn't so! Part of the overall cruise experience I love is a nice meal, in a nice dining room. Anyone knows that if you want to dress up a table, the first thing you do is put on a tablecloth. It makes all the difference.

I hate it for Carnival because it just fuels the flames of Carnival being the Wal-mart of the Seas. It's not enough to keep me from sailing Carnival, but I can't say I'm not disappointed.

Mike M January 25th, 2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorothys56 (Post 1493826)
Say it isn't so! Part of the overall cruise experience I love is a nice meal, in a nice dining room. Anyone knows that if you want to dress up a table, the first thing you do is put on a tablecloth. It makes all the difference.

I hate it for Carnival because it just fuels the flames of Carnival being the Wal-mart of the Seas. It's not enough to keep me from sailing Carnival, but I can't say I'm not disappointed.

So far it is just on Glory and will be rolled out on Liberty. I'm not sure if and when it will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet.

Take care,
Mike

rollerdonna January 25th, 2014 10:19 PM

Have to admit, I don't like the idea. Part of the fun of cruising is enjoying a "dressed up" table, as opposed to eating in the "diner" style at home. I think they've gone too far.

donna

storybookcruises.com January 26th, 2014 01:23 AM

They call it the 'new dining concept'. We're not stupid - call it what it is; a way to save money so you can keep your cruises cheap. We're fine with that - we understand. But don't try to pull the wool over our eyes and call it something it's not!

Pete

Travelbuggs January 26th, 2014 11:41 AM

Well, I admit I was shocked at the idea of no tablecloths at first, but then I went back and looked at some of the photos I took on our recent Epic cruise with NCL.

I neglected to take any photos in the MDR, but I'm pretty sure there was a tablecloth on our table when we dined there on the first night. I would have sworn there were tablecloths in the specialty venues as well, but when I looked at my photos, there were none on the tables. Table were set with placemats and lovely china. I had not even missed or noticed the tablecloths were not there! The dining rooms had a very modern and sophisticated feeling.

I guess if the cruise lines can make money saving changes and do them in such a way that I don't even notice, then I am all for it! After all, the alternative is for them to raise the price of our cruise fares, and I am not for that! Cruise fares today are probably less than they were several years ago and they have added many more bells and whistles and options for cruisers without upping the price.

I'll be keeping an eye out for tablecloths on our next cruise on Getaway and will let you know.