Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default The Last Ship - TV Show

How many of you saw the pilot for "The Last Ship?" - pretty good show. I like the steely-eyed captain.

Anyway - I thought it was quite funny that they raided a cruise ship for food & fuel. I believe it is true that in the navy they call cruise ships "targets" (Its just a joke). But in this case - it was...

It was identified as an "Italian Cruiser" and in fact it had the definitive Costa mustard yellow smoke stacks - so 10 points for authenticity.

But how many of you recognized the interior shots - when they were on the ship getting provisions? I would bet you anything it was the Queen Mary in Long Beach. I recognized the wooden doors in the hallways, and the wood paneling in the shops area.

and

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Captain

Smile

I have been watching that show also. In fact I have the last Episode on the tvo right now,I liked it when they were on the cruise ship and they opened the freezer to get some food and it was stuffed full of dead bodies all wraped up.GREAT SHOW
Old July 7th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Submariners call all surface ships 'targets'. I spent my Navy time on surface ships and we really got tired of having photos of our ships sent to us from submarines (our side) with our ship in the crosshairs of their periscopes. Of course the downside was if our guys were doing it, so were the Soviet submarines. But they weren't providing us with photos.

I've not watched this TV show but for perspective I think we could operate for up to three months without an underway replenishment for what we called stores (food items). Of course by about day 60 we'd be down to mighty slim pickings and little variety. That makes for an unhappy crew.
Old July 8th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We've been watching the show too, pretty good so far...The captain, used to be on Grey's anatomy...

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I saw the pilot while on the Carnival Triumph. I liked it so began recording the series when I returned. I bet it was the QM.

I'll be on the QM again in August the night before our 23-day So. Pacific cruise on the Carnival Legend. My friend who is also sailing with us and also staying on the QM actually immigrated to America on the Queen Mary as a child. I recently saw his sailing documents from the voyage. Great ship.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
I have been watching that show also. In fact I have the last Episode on the tvo right now,I liked it when they were on the cruise ship and they opened the freezer to get some food and it was stuffed full of dead bodies all wraped up.GREAT SHOW
I saw that one coming, for sure. It is a fact that most cruise ships have a locker for dead bodies, and off course, if you had a real viral situation like that the best thing to do would be to isolate and freeze them like that so they didn't decompose.

And yes, I have seen the rooms most cruise have for bodies, and you know what they look like? Walk-in refrigerators (like any restaurant or grocery store has).
Old July 8th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I saw that one coming, for sure. It is a fact that most cruise ships have a locker for dead bodies, and off course, if you had a real viral situation like that the best thing to do would be to isolate and freeze them like that so they didn't decompose.

And yes, I have seen the rooms most cruise have for bodies, and you know what they look like? Walk-in refrigerators (like any restaurant or grocery store has).
I read somewhere that cruise ships have lockers for dead bodys.I Think I read it on someones post.And it seems to me that they staerd they get used quit a bit.Which really surprised me.
Old July 8th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Admiral

I think I've read someplace that all cruise ships also have to carry a minimum number of body bags and transfer caskets for bodies. I've never verified it to be true but it seems reasonable.

My sister's mother-in-law died aboard QE2 back in the 1970s, while it was on a world cruise. I think they had to ship her body home from Hong Kong.
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:25 AM
friedshrimp

Love this show! Interesting thought about the ship in the pilot being the QM. Any way to verify it??
Old July 13th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Captain

Smile

It still surprises me that people dying on a cruise would happen that reguarly
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedshrimp View Post
Love this show! Interesting thought about the ship in the pilot being the QM. Any way to verify it??
If I could see that part of the show in a video I could probably find matching pictures. But here is the thing, that QM (the original one, now owned by the city of Long beach) is not far from Hollywood - and I don't really know any other ships with so much extensive wood paneling, as safety standards changed wood became far less common.

Long Beach wanted to preserve the ship as she was (that is the whole point). Also - the chance that a Hlwd film crew could find another empty cruise ship, even if they went to the docks where regular cruise ships load up in San Pedro, are small. QM is the logical choice for shooting a cruise ship scene.
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

On a hunch I googled it, and this article says it was the Queen Mary:

'The Last Ship': 'Grey's Anatomy's' Eric Dane sets sail to save a dying world - Zap2it | News & Features

(I do know my ships )
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Love the show! If there was an epidemic on the mainland,i would hour to be on an uninfected cruise ship! Don't you recognize the Captain (Eric Dane) as Dr.Mc Dreamy? ? SPOILER ALERT ahead---- They ran out of water this week making the living situation a little more tense on their ship.

I had my Senior Prom on the Queen Mary.

My uncle passed away on a Carnival cruise in the 80's. He got food poisoning and died off a ruptured esophagus. My aunt and cousin got off at the first port but my uncle took his cruise. The family met up with his body when it returned to Long Beach. There was more drama to that story but I won't get into that.
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Where's my edit button? The above actor, Eric Dane played Dr. McSteamy, not McDreamy, in Grey's Anatomy. How could I have gotten the two mixed up is beyond me! HAHAHAHAHA
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryldoo View Post
My uncle passed away on a Carnival cruise in the 80's. He got food poisoning and died off a ruptured esophagus. My aunt and cousin got off at the first port but my uncle took his cruise. The family met up with his body when it returned to Long Beach. There was more drama to that story but I won't get into that.
McDreamy/ McSteamy - either way we get the idea.

I love that story about your uncle. I have heard similar stories. Hey - why not let him finish the cruise, better than trying to fit him into an airplane seat in coach.
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Welcome Newcomer

The XO was Casey from "Chuck". Love this show!
Old July 26th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jureld View Post
The XO was Casey from "Chuck". Love this show!
He was also hot-tempered, gun-wielding, Jayne in the short-lived-but-ever-popular Sci-Fi TV Series, Firefly and it's movie, Serenity. IF you haven't seen it, you're seriously missing out.

The Last Ship is getting better and better with all their "adventures".