Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > American Queen Steamboat Company
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:18 AM
thoth

Default Best part of the Mississippi River?

I have always wanted to sail William Faulkner's "old man" on a riverboat. my question is this... between New Orleans and St. Paul what is the best leg to travel.? Since I am from the deep South I am very familar with Natchez and Vicksburg, I am looking into the St Louis -St Paul trip becouse I have never seen the river north of St. Louis. How is it up North??
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2003, 12:39 PM
John Hays

Default Re: Best part of the Mississippi River?

We like the St. Louis/St. Paul segment. Lots of interesting small towns to explore, locks to go through, and the river is narrow enough to seem very personal.

We especially like the Delta Queen on that segment as the locals treat her like royalty when she comes around the bend. But forget the fall colors unless you book after October 10-15.

Consider the Ohio/Tennessee river combo, too. Lovely!

John Hays
Old July 4th, 2003, 07:52 PM
TWS

Definitely the Upper Miss - scenery, bluffs, pokey towns, locks where motorists come to hear what news you bring, passengers toss candy, souvenirs etc. a nice meeting of those aboard a steamboat and those ashore.
Ted
Old July 14th, 2003, 03:15 PM
James Hubbard

I'm from Hannibal Missouri. Lived here all my life. pretty country if you like trees and hills. If you dont live on a hill ,you live in a valley. Pretty trees in the fall. Don't miss the folk life festival this fall. Hannibal Jim
Old July 17th, 2003, 10:16 AM
thoth

Thanks for all your responses!
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Best part of the Mississippi River?

We've done them both on two different boats and each is unique. The lower Mississippi features great shore excursions with lovely old plantations and interesting towns, but the river itself isn't particularly scenic. For that you must travel from St. Louis to St. Paul or reverse. The scenery is spectacular and the boats are welcomed all along the way. There seems to be a special relationship between river port residents and the steamboats.
Hope you get to do both, and don't forget the Ohio, Cumberland and Tennessee. Lots of trips to look forward to!!