Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2000, 08:23 PM
First Mate

Default Classic Southern Caribbean

San Juan, Barbados,St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St.Maarten, St.Thomas Help!!!

This will be our first Caribbean Cruise. I have been reading and trying to figure out what to see and do. I am exhausted and this is suppose to be a vacation. I think we are trying to see and do too much. Please if you can just give me your favorite thing you liked about each of these islands. Then maybe we won't try to do too much. We can always come back if we think we may have missed something right. We want to relax and trying to see everything is probably the wrong way to enjoy this cruise. We have never been snorkeling so would like to to that. We are not big on history so we can rule those kind of excursions out. Shopping is good but not everyday. We would like to golf 2 or 3 times. What was your favorite thing to do when you visited these islands.

Ocean Princess 12/10-12/17/00
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2000, 08:46 PM
Rene

Default RE: Classic Southern Caribbean

Kathy, In St Lucia we took the catamaran cruise down the coastline to Soufriere to see the Pitons and the drive in volcano. Probably the best excursion we have ever taken. It is long though....7+hrs and pricey at about $90 per person, but you see some beautiful scenery and you do get to relax some. We will be back there in Nov, will try something new this time.

In St Maarten, we love to shop. Prices are pretty good on clothing, jewelery.

In St Thomas, I recommend taking the ferry to Trunk Bay in St Johns. They have an underwater trail for snorkeling. There are also bathhouses. A little crowded but beautiful none the less.

My husband recommends the tour of San Cristobal fort in San Juan. Or just walking around Old San Juan.

Never been to St Kitts, and in Barbados we went to a beach club.

Hope this helped your state of confusion! I know what it is like. We leave in 21 days and are still confused on what to do.

Rene
Old October 23rd, 2000, 04:42 PM
Admiral

If you love to snorkel, or want to start, head for St. John on a shore excursion when stopping in St. Thomas. It has the best snorkeling on this itinerary and is an unspoiled national park. Both St. Thomas and St. Maarten are very big places for duty-free shopping, so I'd just pick one port for this activity, not both.

St. Lucia has no shopping, but is a spectacular tropical isle. Here, I'd rent a car to explore the island or just take the full-day bus tour to the "drive in volcano" and the twin peaks (Pitons). Barbados is nil on shopping as well, it's a good place to rent a car and explore on your own, or head for a beach.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Kathy,
In St. Kitts earlier this year we just went into town and found a taxi with some other people and went to Turtle Beach, about half an hour of a very scenic drive and quite a lovely beach. We pre-arranged with the driver to come back later in the afternoon to pick us up and he did. This is the beach where there are monkeys in the trees right on the beach and you could purchase some peanuts to feed them, very cute little guys and a great beach day. Enjoy your cruise!

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 23rd, 2000, 11:38 PM
Hawkeye

Kathy -

Did this route two years ago on the Dawn Princess. Have also been to several of these islands multiple times. Seems like you got some good pointers on most of the islands except St. Kitts and Barbados.

One of our favorite excursions of all time is the Eagle catamaran sail out of St. Kitts. The boat itself is great and the crew is an absolute riot. The boat picked us up right on the pier and sailed to a snorkeling spot just off the island of Nevis. After about an hour it sailed on to Nevis and put everyone ashore at Pinney's Beach near the Four Season's resort for an outstanding beach barbeque. Sailed back to the ship after lunch and were dropped off on the pier right next to the ship. They made the best rum punch and it was all you could/wanted to drink (tour price included lunch and punch). The first mate even clued us in to their secret ingredient.

Have been to Barbados twice and am going again in December. There's a snorkeling tour that goes to a place where there are two small ships sunk in about 30 feet of water. Fair amount of fish and decent snorkeling. Have done that twice and will be doing it again. My wife is not a big in-the-water person so did a photo tour sponsored by the ship. She rated it a 10.

St. Maarten is one of our favorite islands in all the Caribbean (we've been there four times in the last five years) so I have to throw in my two cents worth here. As prevously mentioned it's a great place for shopping. We always patronize Joe's Jewelers. There are three stores in town; the one farthest from Bobby's Marina on the right side of the street seems to be the one most interested bargaining. They've always given us good prices, multiple purchase discounts and, now that we've become regulars, a substantial discount above and beyond that.

After a day of shopping stop at Everyt'ing Cool (our favorite beach bar) for lunch. The conch stew (double order for me, thanks), french bread and signature drink, Big Black Banana, make the perfect lunch! They have their own beach, lockers to store your stuff and changing rooms. John and the gang there are great people!

Feel free to email for more info if you'd like.
Old October 24th, 2000, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Hawkeye,
Yes, I've heard how great the catamaran sail to Nevis, unfortunately that excersion filled up fast, and we were unable to go on it. I hope if we get there in the future to be sure to go on that excersion. How did you like Nevis in general, worth a visit to? Thanks for all your tips :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 25th, 2000, 12:14 AM
First Mate

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INFO ON THE ISLANDS.

WILL HAVE A BETTER IDEA ON WHAT EXCURSIONS TO SIGN UP WITH ASAP.

HAPPY SAILING

Kathy
Old October 25th, 2000, 11:58 PM
Hawkeye

Unfortunately, didn't get to see much of Nevis except from the Eagle and Pinney's Beach. I've seen photos of the island and would like to get some time to check it out.

The snorkeling off the island from the Eagle was very good and the beach was great. We had the whole place to ourselves. ("Ourselves" meaning the roughly 40 or so folks on the Eagle!) The Four Seasons had just opened the prior week-end so everything was pretty quiet.
Old October 26th, 2000, 03:40 PM
TWOFER

Just wanted to say, we have done this cruise before and suggest you take it alittle slow. I know the temptation to see and do as much as possible but the sun and humidity takes a big toll on you! Allow some down time! IMHO