Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Default Comparison/Windstar vs. Star Clippers

We are looking for a new cruise experience. We have done the mid size and mega ships. We are now thinking about either Windstar or Star Clippers. My T/A is most informative about Windstar. She says they are casual and upscale. The food is comparable or better than Celebrity. She knows nothing about the Star Clipper line, most notably the Royal Clipper. Can anyone on your staff give me a fair comparison of the two? This would be for a trip next year (2002). I cant seem to get anyone to help us out, hopefully someone there can!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Comparison/Windstar vs. Star Clippers

I have been on both, and I personally would take Windstar. However, let me qualify that by saying that some would do the opposite.

Windstar is a top cruise experience, the ships are motorized, they're spacious and food and service is top-notch on a level with the luxury cruise lines.

Star Clippers is a true sail experience - wind-power only. Breathtakingly beautiful. If that is exactly what you want then go here. Be prepared for smaller cabins, fewer onboard amenities, no spa or salon, or room service, and food that is somewhat mediocre.

Both ships are excellent for one thing, though. The comeraderie of the passengers is apparent and meeting people and making new friends is easy.
Old June 20th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Admiral

They are two very different experiences. I'd pick a Star Clipper for the AbFab experience of being under sail, Windstar for more luxury.

Either way, you will have the "small ship" experience which is terrific !!!

pamda -- CruiseMates Utility Infielder
Old June 22nd, 2001, 01:00 PM
Lawton Thomas

I have sailed both lines and prefer Star Clipper. The Star Flyer out of Thailand was wonderful. The flyer also does the Indian Ocean and the Med in the summer. Veteran cruises, including travel writters have raved about the Royal Clipper. About 225 pax and 5000 tons. I believe it is the largest sailing ship ever built.
The experience of departing ports under sail is wonderful...the engines are used when there is little or no wind....they do have a schedule to keep.

Windstar is just a cruise ship with computerized sails...and is more upscale.