Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Natalya

Default September

My husband and I are going on a cruise in September. We will leave out on September 9th in New Orleans on The Inspiration. This will be our first cruise.
We will be taking our 14 year old son with us. He will miss school but it is the only time we could go. With school starting in Mississippi on August 9th, I am sure other states will be in school also. How common is it to find other teenagers on board during school? Will there still be teen activities going on?
Also, how early should we get there to board? I have read reviews saying it takes hours.
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: September

With school just recently starting in most places I'd guess that Sept. has some of the lowest numbers of teens onboard in the entire year.
However, Carnival always has kids programs in place year round. Hopefully there will be at least a couple his age onboard. That's all it takes and they keep themselves entertained.

Regards,
Kuki
Old August 7th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Admiral

I agree with Kuki. There will probably be very few teens on board. However, this could be a very cool time to do things with your son that you couldn't do if there were a lot of other kids around.

You know he'd pick the other kids over the parental units :o)

Let him help in choosing the shore excursions and just think "quality time". When they hit the 14-ish age, there's precious little time to spend with them in upcoming years.

If he gets bored out by the long dinners, let him sit in the cabin, order room service and watch a movie while the 'rents are enjoying themselves.

The best time, in my experience, for boarding is two or three hours after boarding starts because the "eager beavers" will be out of the way. We once waited in line for 1.5 hours at "first call" and I said, "NEVER AGAIN !!!"

So, later is better than earlier as I see it.

If there's anything else we can help with, just holler.

pamda -- CruiseMates First-Time Cruisers Editor and surviving mother of four
Old August 11th, 2001, 07:48 PM
Barbados Baldy

We always cruise in the fall in fact our first cruise was leaving from N.O. also and our son was about the same age as yours. We found there was others his age on ship infact just about the right amount to make it easy to keep up with him! Have fun!