CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Cruise offer-Scam? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/239950-cruise-offer-scam.html)

Suzen August 10th, 2001 06:59 PM

Cruise offer-Scam?

Just received an offer from Ramada Plaza Resorts for accomodations at their properties in Orlando and Ftlauderdale and a cruise to Bahamas on Carnivel or Imperial Majesty(which I've never heard of). Does anyone have any experience with these offers that they could share? Would love to cruise but don't want to get a bad deal.

Donna August 10th, 2001 07:59 PM

Re: Cruise offer-Scam?

Hi Suzen,
I would beware, rarely will we get something for nothing. Sounds like one of those high pressure time share deals, or something like that??? Just be sure you know up front what to expect.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host

Theresa August 10th, 2001 08:06 PM

Not a cruise mates staff but I do know this is a scam! The Florida attorney general's office has tons of complaints about this outfit. It is not associated with the Ramada hotel line at all.

Stay away from this offer. I used to have web sites that people shared their experiences with this but I no longer have them bookmarked. They are bad news.

theresa

Suzen August 10th, 2001 10:02 PM

Thank you for your feedback, I think I'll just start saving for a legitimate cruise.

Carole Dunham August 10th, 2001 11:06 PM

That's a great idea Suzen. I've been told that if you contact the cruiseline (?) directly, you can book them without the timeshare scam.

Carole

Carole Dunham August 11th, 2001 08:23 PM

For some very interesting, but very sad reading, here's a link to many complaints against Ramada Plaza. YOu know, if anybody uses the MadDonald name for anything other than their hamburger franchise they are told immediately to stop or get sued. I wonder why the Ramada company doesn't sue Ramada Plaza for the horrible use of their good name. One guy on this site believes that it is actually Ramada and that their hotels are no good. Here's the link: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/ramada_plaza.htm.

Carole

Marty Trencher August 12th, 2001 10:08 AM

You might want to have a look at this posting 4/19 at the "Cruise Gripes" forum.
"Look Before You Book: Frauds and Scams"

Robocop August 12th, 2001 11:25 PM

Suzen,
It is a scam with many.many complaints maide to the Florida Attorney General as well as the US Attorney General. They are hard to close down as they take your money and run and open up at a differant address. Toss it in the trach. There is no such thing as a free cruise. (unless it is one you win here)
Jim
Community Staff Leader
http://www.cruisemates.com
The Internet Cruise Magazine

Mary Lou August 13th, 2001 08:14 PM

I, too, received this same offer. I guess being "more seasoned" I knew it was a scam...but my 23 year daughter would have believed it. It appalls me that scams like this can happen.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host

don August 13th, 2001 09:25 PM

I have recieved about a month ago the same exact offer. Was not the first time either. I just threw them away.

Carole Dunham August 15th, 2001 11:19 PM

Fortunately, they rarely market it to us Floridians. Too easy for Florida's attorney general to catch and prosecute them.

Carole

Ana1245 October 20th, 2012 08:20 PM

Free cruse scam

:mad:I received postcard and went to the presentation where they gave me certificate for free cruse. I had to send 2 times $99 cashir check before anything else. After that I got stuf in the mail that I needed to fill out and send back. I needed to pick 3 dates and first date needed to be in the future no sooner than 90 days and no latter than 120 days. 3 dates needed to have 30 days in beetween. because my 3 dates were not 30 days apart they send me letter to cancel my cruse and they will keep my $99. x 2.
I am very upset because I did not see it coming. They made me jump thru the hups and they scam me of my money on the end.
I do not want to go to their cruse anymore....I would like to get my money back. Is it way that I can get my money back. I will report them to the better business biro ... I guess...but is it anything else I can do.

storybookcruises.com October 20th, 2012 09:44 PM

As your mother always told you;

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

And;

You never get anything for nothing.

Pete

Kamloops Cruiser October 21st, 2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzen (Post 308513)
Just received an offer from Ramada Plaza Resorts for accomodations at their properties in Orlando and Ftlauderdale and a cruise to Bahamas on Carnivel or Imperial Majesty(which I've never heard of). Does anyone have any experience with these offers that they could share? Would love to cruise but don't want to get a bad deal.

Probably a scam . They will ask you to sit thru a timeshare sales presentation . To get the cruise you'll have to fees & port taxes that are equivalent to buying a normal cruise elsewhere.

Dave Beers October 21st, 2012 04:34 PM

Wow. An 11-year old thread revived.