Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:09 AM
First Mate

Default Lowered Costs

I have been hearing alot of stories that cruise and flight cost have gone down dramatically. I know someone who is going on a cruise in February and he told me that he got a couple of hundred back on what he paid.

I going on Golden in November.

What is Princess doing? Are they lowering prices too or are they giving upgrades? Does anyone have any information on this?
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:26 AM
Robocop

Default Re: Lowered Costs

Check with your TA Tom but most of these lowered prices are for new bookings only and you cannot rebook them for the savings. The cruise industry has been hit hard by this and they are trying to just stay afloat by filling all empty spaces.
Jim
Old October 1st, 2001, 03:20 PM
Admiral

HI, Tom ...

There have been some extremely dramatic price cuts over the past couple of weeks or so. As Robo says, they apply to new bookings only.

If you are in the "penalty phase" it might be to your financial advantage to pay the cancellation penalty and rebook. Or it might not.

It's something to talk with your TA about and decide what the best course of action might be.

We all like to save a few bucks, for certain. On the other hand, we pay what we think is fair for the cruise we want to take. I know it would be painful to sit at a table with people who paid a song for their cruise when you paid "full boat."

Check with your TA on this.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 1st, 2001, 06:37 PM
gogetter

Hello,

I think it's not happening...My cruise went up in price....
Old October 1st, 2001, 07:17 PM
Chyna_C

The cost of my cruise too went up. But I am wondering if they might have bumped all of us bargain cruies "up" and now are trying to sell the cheaper cabins at a lower rate? (There were no cabins available in my category until just a few days ago).
Old October 2nd, 2001, 09:57 AM
WillaT

I just spoke with my travel agent. We are sailing on November 11th. Our cabin increased in price. If we were to book now it would cost $450 per person more. I think it is just the least expensive cabins that are being lowered to fill up cancellations. However, ask your TA, you just never know.
Old October 2nd, 2001, 06:45 PM
gogetter

NO....they are not trying to sell the cheaper cabins at a lower rate. My 4a guarantee on the Carnival Pride has gone up in price.
Old October 4th, 2001, 01:53 PM
First Mate

I had been seeing a lot lately about lower prices so I checked on the Celebrity web site yesterday to see what our stateroom was going for. We are in a 1A so there's not much room for an upgrade. Anyway they showed two 1A rooms available and the price was $800.00 per person more than we paid! This is for an eastern Caribbean cruise on 10/21/01. I couldn't believe it in light of all the talk of cancellations. I guess I will stay happy with what I got!
Old October 5th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tom,
We are going on the Golden in Nov. also. On Wed. I recieved an e-mail about lower fares on Princess. My cat. was booking for $500.00 less than I'm paying.
I called my TA and she called Princess and they told her that it applied only to new bookings. They offered me an upgrade from a BA cabin Ouside with balcony to an AC min-suite. Then they upgraded my other faily member who both had cat. JJ to 1-BA and the other BB. They went from an inside to outside with a balcony.

My TA is going to send a letter to Princess Customer service and we will see what happens.Tom wrote:
>
> I have been hearing alot of stories that cruise and flight
> cost have gone down dramatically. I know someone who is
> going on a cruise in February and he told me that he got a
> couple of hundred back on what he paid.
>
> I going on Golden in November.
>
> What is Princess doing? Are they lowering prices too or are
> they giving upgrades? Does anyone have any information on
> this?