Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Water & Wine

Hi

Just wondering...I don't drink soft drinks but I do drink lots of water. Does the soft drink card cover water? If not, can I smuggle a couple of water bottles onboard and fill them up on the ship? If I can fill them up on the ship, is the water drinkable? I am spoiled to the mtn. water of nc! Also, merlot is my poison and I am on a budget (thanks to x-mas) can I bring a couple of bottles onboard or buy the wine at the ports? I have heard the prices onboard are a rip off.
thanks..rita
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Water & Wine

On short cruises, the potable water usually comes from the city water system serving the port, and tastes like it. Distilling sea water takes time and fuel but produces great tasting water. So...it depends.

Great question about the soft drink card covering bottled water. We get free soft drinks on our upcoming Disney cruise so long as we have our designated mug. Wonder if they will fill it with bottled water?

I fill my empty snuck aboard soft drink bottles with ship's water and have never been challenged. Some people go to great lengths smuggling bottles aboard while others walk on carrying grocery bags full of soft drinks, booze and snacks. Again....It depends.

On an RCCL cruise we were given bottled water on their party island. I put one in each pocket when I returned, photo vests do come in handy, and they didn't seem to mind. Were more concerned about getting the drunks and new found romances off the island.

More than you ever wanted to know.
Old January 5th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Hi, Rita ...

I haven't tried this myself, but I have recommended it to other cruisers who found it successful. Take a Britta (or similar) water filter with you on the cruise. They don't take up a lot of space, you can stuff socks in them for travel, and they do a great job.

I, too, drink a lot of water and I've never found ships' water to be "bad". Usually I just squeeze a lemon wedge into the water if I find the taste to be "off". Taking your own bottle(s) is a good idea. I don't think it would be called "smuggling."

I just looked at a Celebrity wine list and the Merlots range from $28 to $52.

If you are going to take your own wine, just pack it in with your clothing in checked luggage. To be safe, you might want to enclose each bottle in bubble wrap and a zip-top bag. Be prepared for a corkage fee in the range of $6 - $8 per bottle.

And have a great cruise !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 5th, 2002, 11:19 PM
robocop

Rita, the soft drink card is for fountain soft drinks, not for water. Bottled water onboard is pretty expensive so I recommend that you just bring a couple bottles of your own and then refill them from the ships water. Their water is very clean as for the most part it is distilled water. You may bring a couple bottles of wine onboard for personal consumption but be advied, there will be a corkage fee if you bring it to the dining room. The prices onboard really are not all that bad and quite simuliar to ashore and in many instances cheaper.
Jim
Old January 6th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have always used the ship's water in our insulated beverage containers, usually getting it filled in DR or buffet before leaving ship on excursion. Bought mine at EMS and it holds extremely well in the heat of the islands. As for the wine- going to do my own "corkage" at home and transfer wine to plastic bottles, put them in zip-locks, and pad well. Hope I'm not the first on line at the laundry!!
Old January 7th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Admiral

If you're carrying that transferred wine in plastic bottles on a plane, be sure to squeeze it a bit first before putting on the top ... and you might even put tape around the top.
Old January 7th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the advice about taping plastic bottles--good idea.