Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Patricia Belzner

Default Toddlers Tips/Food

Hi Staff!
First I want to thank you for the wealth of information on your site. I have a multitude of questions in different categories. It's been 18 yrs since our last cruise.

During Christmas Week (Dec. 21 or 22, 2002)
7 of us (Grandpa/ma, daughter/son-in-law & 3 children (ages 8, 9 & a toddler 19 months) will be sailing on either Carnival's Inspiration or Pride. I read your article about tippinig ($9.75/pp/day) being PREPAID & that's OK with me. However Grandpa is paying the bill & he thinks toddler should be $5/day. What do you think? Also read about Room Steward storing open baby food jars - do Cruise lines supply baby food? I think NOT. Advise please.

Patricia (Grandma) from Dunedin, FL

Next
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Mary Lou

Default Re: Toddlers Tips/Food

Patricia:
Welcome to CruiseMates....we are glad you found us. What a great way to celebrate Christmas....cruising. It has been a very, very long time since I had a toddler, so I would suggest that you contact your Travel Agent or Carnivall directly for the answers to those questions. I do know that other lines have a reduced tipping amount for toddlers, so I would bet Carnival does also. Let us know what you find out.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old February 27th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Vicki C

We were on Pride last month and all the rooms have a refigerator, you might want to ask and find out for sure that room comes with refigerator, for baby food and bottles.
What a wonderful husband you have to take you all. Have a marvelous time.
Vicki
Old February 27th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think Grandpa should take the little tykes to a restaurant and REALLY watch what happens. It's hardest to wait on kids - and the messes that remain under them are the worst. They may not be ordering off the menu much, but the cracker crumbs etc are a lot of work. The tip should remain the same for the toddlers - they, usually, make bigger messes than us adults.
Old February 27th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Hi, Grandma ...

I can understand Grandpa's feelings ... tykes don't take up a lot of room or eat a lot of filet mignon.

However, the little ones -- especially in "family cabins" can -- as Jenn said -- create more work than adults. I've always thought that family cabin cruisers should UP their tip to the cabin steward

The paraphernalia that accompies the smallest sailors is immense compared to older children.

The ship will be full to the gunwales on a Christmas cruise.

If there isn't a refrigerator, you can construct one easily with an insulated lunch bag and ice in a zip-top bag.

What a wonderful gift Grandpa is giving the family.

HINT: Take along tiny gifts for the kids ... maybe one for each day ... and save the big stuff until you get home.

Any additional questions, just ask. We're here.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 27th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Pat,
I also agree with both Jenn and Pamda about the tipping question. We've always tipped the same amount for our kids when cruising, in most cases they create more work for both the dinning room staff and your cabin attendants, so if grampa doesn't want to tip the full amount, may-be you can make up the difference, just a thought.

Have a great Christmas cruise!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old March 2nd, 2002, 06:05 PM
Carole Dunham

The waiters usually spoil the heck out of the kids anyway and really deserve their full tip for the young ones.

Carole
Old March 5th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Passenger

i agree about tipping full amount for children. i have three children (17months-6yrs), and enjoy the occasion when we all go out to dinner because i don't have to clean-up the mess (i do try to keep it to a minimum), we always tip more than 15% because of the kids. remember most of the crew work on tips, thier base pay is usually next to nothing.

have a great cruise. we'll be doing a big family cruise like that in oct. 2003.