Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2002, 11:14 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to TaraLee Send a message via MSN to TaraLee
Default Pay cash or use credit card

I am sailing in a month and was wondering if you think it is better to put a credit card or cash down for the sail and sign card. I thought if I put cash it would make sure I didnt go over my limit. I appreciate any advice.....Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2002, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Pay cash or use credit card

You have more protection if you put it on a credit card. You also have the use of your money for a month before you must pay the bill. However, if you have little
self-discipline when using credit cards it is always best to use cash.

Happy sailing,
Thomas
Old April 1st, 2002, 09:40 AM
Charlene Hempler

Hi, We always use cash only because I don't like credit cards. I have no problem with the overspending part. I just like to use cash. We usually get money back after the cruise too. That is a personal preference. You will just have to check it out and see. Have a Great cruise... Char
Old April 1st, 2002, 12:11 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to TaraLee Send a message via MSN to TaraLee

Well is there a general amount you usually put per person per day???/
Old April 1st, 2002, 01:13 PM
Charlene Hempler

Default Re: Re: Pay cash or use credit card

Hi, They recomend you put in $200 per person. So that is what we do. We usually put in extra for excursions if they are over $50 person. This trip we are only booking one excursion with the ship. We are going on our own for 2 days. That is all personal of what you want to spend. Char
Old April 1st, 2002, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

You put the cash down on the first day of sailing and can add more later if you want - it would prevent you from standing in the line to do it each day. CCL requres a minimum initial cash amount of $100 for 2-4 day, $200 for 5-8 day and $350 for 9+ days. You can also use Visa/Mastercard debit cards, though I am unsure of the regulations placed on using these. My thought is if you don't want to use the credit card, put it on your debit card, if stolen most banks will only hold you responsible for $50. If you use cash, you are out of luck on getting anything back. Something I have done in the past is also to write a check to my card company for the amount that I have earmarked for vacation prior to sailing. That way the bill is already paid and I am not tempted to use the money for other things prior to card bill coming in mail. On how much to expect per day depends upon how much you drink and what you think your onboard purchases/gambling money will be. I probably average about $80-$100 a day for alcoholic, gambling, and onboard purchases.
Old April 1st, 2002, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Tara,
I'd say just use the credit card and just keep an eye on what you are spending, much better to have the protection of the credit card. If you already have the cash, then you should be able to pay off your balance when you receive the bill.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 1st, 2002, 06:05 PM
Admiral

I think the smartest thing to do is to use an "empty" credit card. Otherwise, you are just piling onto previous charges with the associated interest hits.

If you already have the cash in hand, you get to use the bank's money for a while. Never a bad deal.

Old April 1st, 2002, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Love to use cash. No bills to worry about when the cruise is paid.
Old April 2nd, 2002, 05:06 PM
Holly

We always use the credit card. Its a fallback in a dispute. Also, we get miles. However, we also ALWAYS are prepared and budgeted for the amount we will spend and I have never been off by more than 5% be it a 4 day or a 10 day cruise. I calculate tips, chips excursions, wine & drinks, personal excursions at $75-100/day for 2 people and allow 10-25% extra for increased tips. I did this on last cruise as our waiter/asst were the best we've had since 1969.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 12:26 PM
Passenger

I just returned from Paradise and started with the charge card and then paid on it twice during the cruise. I had cash to go to port and on the last sail day I put the rest on my account. On the ship they never accept cash for purchases any way.