Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sail & Sign Cards

We will be sailing on the Triumph May 11 and was wondering what do you all do with your sail and sign cards when you go off on an excursion.
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Sail & Sign Cards

Paula,
While on a cruise you should keep your sail and sign card with you at all times. You will need it to get on and off the ship for one thing and it is basically the only thing you need during the entire cruise. If you are looking for someplace to carry it, I might suggest that you get one of those waterproof containers that hang around your neck, great place to store your S&S and ID as well as a CC and a small amount of cash.
Jim

Old April 9th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Sail & Sign Cards

Jim....what store could I find that at? Thanks

Old April 9th, 2002, 08:49 PM
TomS

You can find those at any luggage store. I saw some at a Samsonite outlet store near Castle Rock, CO. Just about any large luggage store should have them, and a few neato gadges, too. If you want to see what they have on-line, the website is http://www.samsonitecompanystores.com
Old April 10th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Gisane

Hi . I read on some web site that Carnival applies the tipping on the sail and sign card. do we have to follow that rule or can we pay by cash . this will be our first cruise on Carnival Pride in October . Thank you
Old April 10th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Jim
Thanks for your reply, sounds like a great idea. I'm hoping we can find one. Do you think a place like Walmart or something would carry them?
Old April 10th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Sail & Sign Cards

Those little waterproof, (I would rather say water resistant personally), containers are found in places like Walmart in the beach stuff area. You can also find them on almost all ships and in almost all ports in amongst the trinkets etc.
Gisane, you can either have the tips placed on your S&S card for automatic tips or you can go to the Pursers (Information) Desk and request that they remove them and provide you with envelopes for the traditional tipping which is my preferred way of tipping. I just think it is a personal thing and that it is my duty to personally present the tip to the party and also extend my heartfelt thanks along with it.
Jim

Old April 10th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Sail & Sign Cards

Thanks Jim.....will look for one. Also, Deb and I will also continue tipping the traditional way (envelope).
Old April 10th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Sail & Sign Cards

thanks for the info, appreciate it. I think I like the traditional way of tipping also, will envelopes be provided or should we bring our own.
Can't wait, we leave for Miami four weeks from today and it seems like forever away.
Old April 10th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sail & Sign Cards

Paula....envelopes are provided to you......Just go to the pursers desk and tell them not to put graturities on your S/S card and ask for envelopes.
Old April 10th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Mike Mastellar

Paula;
You can get the travel and "water resistant" wallets at Walmart, Target, Mervyn's. They are usually in the travel section near the luggage.

I would suggest looking at Magellan's. www.magellans.com I bought mine from there and they are much softer to the skin than the rough material of the travel wallets that my brother bought at Target. Even though they look almost identical.

I also bought the "water proof" wallet from Magellans. But remember to have the plastic ziplock insert completely sealed before snorkeling. I ended up with some wet money and soggy Cruisemates cards because of that mistake.

The cost should not be more than $10.00 for the regular travel wallet and under $20 for the "water proof".

Take Care and have a great cruise.
Mike
Monday Chat Host
Old April 11th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Admiral

On the Pride the tips are automatically charged to your S/S card. And they are applied immediately. I believe it was $9.75 pp/pd. I met a man who had left a $125 cash deposit for the S/S card upon check-in who immediately went to the bar for a beer as soon as he got on board. His S/S card was refused at the bar because it was over the limit. When he asked how that could be, he found his tips had already been applied to the card so he had to go to the Purser's desk to plunk down another cash deposit so he could get a drink.

You can go to the Purser's desk and ask to have the tips removed from the card and request an envelope for your tips. A lot of people do this.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 11th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Yet another reason to use an empty credit card, say what?