Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Passenger

Default when is hurricane season

I'm planning a Caribbean cruise this fall -- a 7 day Western Caribbean on Celebrity Century -- and I need advice on when to book to avoid the possibility of storms/hurricanes as much as possible. We're considering sailing dates of 10/12, 11/9 and 11/23.

I'd heard that by the end of October, we'd be fairly 'safe' although technically the end of hurricane season is at the end of November.

I realize that there's no guarantee of good weather whenever you go, but I'm travelling with my mom, and this will be her first cruise, so I want to avoid the possibility of rough seas as much as possible.

Laura
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: when is hurricane season

Hi, Laura ...

You are wise to know that there are no guarantees.

Hurricanes TEND to track more easterly than westerly so you've chosen the better itinerary.

11/23 might get you into Thanksgiving which would mean many children aboard.

We cruised the western itinerary over Thanksgiving last year and tons of ships were running around because they had been rerouted from the eastern itineraries because of bad weather. There must have been a dozen ships at Cozumel one day.

Old April 16th, 2002, 10:53 AM
David Starkey

Having sailed several early Oct sailings that have been involved with hurricanes I would not go during early or mid Oct , but late Oct or early Nov should be fine.
I live in North Carolina and we see more than our share of hurricanes and we keep a watchful eye on them. As previously pointed out the Western iten also seems to have fewer problems.
Enjoy your cruise..
Old April 16th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Yeoman

This year is forecast to be a bad one for hurricanes. Of course, they always say that. Every hurricane that spawns off the coast of Africa starts off heading straight for Florida. They usually either turn or fizzle. Usually. People get paid a lot of money to predict hurricanes. They are wrong a lot. Do what we do here in Florida, ignore the threat until one is right on top you, then panic.
Old April 16th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Carole Dunham

Hurricane season lasts from June through November. Most late season hurricanes don't get as far north as the US, but are mostly in the Southern Caribbean. While there is never a guarantee, 11/23 is your best bet. Our worst hurricane months are August and September, but the only month that has never seen a hurricane is April, a great month to cruise the Caribbean.

Carole
Old April 17th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Passenger

Thanks for all the advice! Looks like we'll be choosing the Nov 9th sailing.

I'm so glad I found this site. Its been 7 years since the last time I cruised, and someone else planned it then. The articles and message boards have been very helpful in planning our trip.

I only wish I didn't have to wait 8 months!

Laura
Old April 18th, 2002, 07:52 PM
HannaS77

Default Re: Re: when is hurricane season

According to an article in Yahoo News dated April 4, 2000 the hurricane seaspn runs from June 1 to November 30. "There are allleged to be at leat seven hurricanes during 2002. The chances of a hurricane hitting the United States east coast and Florida may be about 75%. " However other reports I have read for Florida and the Caribbean are reluctant to predict Hurricanes until there is a better assessment of the affects of El Nino.

HannaS77
Old May 1st, 2002, 11:37 AM
Familiar Face

We are leaving November 8th on the Summit so we are in the same boat as you!(so to speak!) We know we are taking a bit of a chance but that is when our anniversary is so that's when we're going! We've decided to have a good time no matter what! I agree with you that it's a long time to wait, but at least most of the waiting is through the nice summer months when I can occupy myself with gardening! Happy Cruising!