Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2002, 03:15 PM
Chuck Davis

Default How does a family of five go on a cruise?

My wife and I took our first cruise for our 25th anniversary. Now we 'd like to go on a cruise over Christmas break with our three kids (boy, girl boy - all in college or graduate school, ages 24, 22, and 20).

Are there cabins that hold five people?

Or is it best to get two adjacent cabins, with two people in one and three in the other?

Do certain ships have better facilities for this situation, or are they all the same?

Our only preferences are that we would need to cruise from the south or east (Galveston, New Orleans, ... Miami), we are interested in a 4-day or 5-day cruise, and one of our sons wants to go to Cozumel.

Thanks,

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2002, 05:04 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: How does a family of five go on a cruise?

A less expensive route might be a large outside stateroom plus an inside stateroom across the hall. I have seen families use the inside room as bunkroom, junkroom, extra bath and spend their days in the nicer outside cabin with balcony.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How does a family of five go on a cruise?

I think the Disney ships tend to have cabins that hold more people comfortably. Might be worth checking into.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old September 3rd, 2002, 08:59 PM
dolores

Default Re: Re: How does a family of five go on a cruise?

We just booked our first cruise with my 3 children and we really had a hard time finding cabins that accommodate a triple or a quad. We ended up with adjoining cabins because two of my kids are 10 and 7. If they were a little older, I would book a nice outside cabin and an inside cabin directly across the hall from us for the kids. I have found that most ships book these type of rooms very early, especially when the kids are out of school! So I would definitely book early. Good luck.
Old September 6th, 2002, 11:36 PM
mlbcruiser

Default Re: Re: Re: How does a family of five go on a cruise?

I vote for the balcony or larger outside cabin and an inside one across the hall. You will get 2 baths and that is SO important! The cabins that sleep 3 or 4 comfortably are called "natural quads" and the beds come down out of the ceiling (or flip down from the upper walls on older ships). To get those during popular times (like spring break and the big holidays) you generally need to book far in advance (we do it around a year in advance for spring) or get very, very lucky!
Also, just an opinion here, but cruising out of Miami is just SO unlike leaving any of the other ports.(Ft. Lauderdale is nice, but not as nice as Miami! The rest are just no where near as scenic.) Honestly, it really is stunning ! You get much more of a tropical yet "big time, first class" feeling that the other ports just don't offer. You pass islands w/celebrity homes, tall luxury condos and South Beach, get to watch other large ships leaving, too, as a general rule, then see miles of beach lined w/hotels as you look back to shore. Nothing like it! Last year we cruised w/ experienced cruiser neighbors and some first timers out of Port Canaveral and those of us who had cruised before felt sorry for the rest who had never had the experience of leaving from Miami.
Old September 13th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How does a family of five go on a cruise?

Hear,hear! I agree completely. I have cruised from Miami 2x, Cape Canaveral and Ft Lauderdale. Miami is definately hands down the best, but trying Los Angeles next.
Old September 17th, 2002, 11:36 AM
First Mate

Default Cruising from Peurto Rico

How is leaving from Peurto Rico? You don't have to leave till 10 pm.