CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   All those wrinkles (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/241426-all-those-wrinkles.html)

Sherry October 26th, 2002 09:11 PM

All those wrinkles

I was told that their are no irons in the room, should I pack wrinkled clothes, and take an iron...or pack pressed clothes? and still take an iron...?

nushnakka October 26th, 2002 09:35 PM

Re: All those wrinkles

Personally I pack pressed clothes and still take an iron. I don't know what line you are sailing but Carnival has laundry rooms with irons.

Suki October 26th, 2002 09:36 PM

If you iron your clothes and pack them properly (in those plastic film cleaner bags) you won't have a problem! The steam in the shower trick works too! DON'T TAKE AN IRON - - it's a fire hazzard

Don G October 27th, 2002 09:52 AM

When I hang my wrinkled clothes in the shower, I just get wet clothes.

Carole Dunham October 27th, 2002 05:01 PM

Re: Re: All those wrinkles

This is my vacation. I'll wash my undies but I send wrinkled clothes out to be laundered.

Carole

Suki October 27th, 2002 10:44 PM

Hi Sherry -

Most Cleaners are most accommodating - I ask for separate covers for each item at pick up time and have never had a problem - between cruises I never throw out one of those covers - they take up no space in your closet and are worth their weight in gold when I pack for a cruise - one cover per garmet is the way to go.

Melanie October 28th, 2002 03:51 AM

Everyone keeps telling me to use tissue paper to keep my clothes from getting wrinkled, or to roll my clothes. The rolling thing has me stumped. I have to start packing soon. Has anyone ever tired tissue paper or rolling??

Melanie

Thomas October 28th, 2002 09:27 AM

For the rolling method, fold a garment to minimize a potential wrinkle. Then starting at one end roll the garment like if you were rolling up some Christmas wrapping paper. So you'll end up with what looks like a log. It works well for preventing wrinkling and allows more to be packed per bag.

Regards,
Thomas

cassbeth225 October 30th, 2002 06:49 AM

The last time I went I took a small steamer. Is that a no-no. Really didn't have to use it too much.

Thomas October 30th, 2002 07:20 AM

Steamers are o.k.

Don't really know why since they contain heating elements just like an iron does.

Regards,
Thomas

susancruzs October 30th, 2002 02:21 PM

Take my word for it, the tissue paper method does not work (unless I did it wrong)! The rolling is a good thing and the cleaners bags a must for dress clothes!

I pack all my stuff then put dress clothes in the cleaners bags on top, close the suitcase, and so far I've not had badly wrinkled clothes. For longer cruises I do take my rolling garment bag, which easily holds 4 or 5 outfits and I still use the cleaner bags.

Enjoy your cruise! Susan will be cruisin'

P.S. I took an iron on my first cruises until I got a lesson in ship fires from a security officer on the Norway years ago. My room steward noticed it and he had an officer stop by and chat with me about it!!! I didn't mind and twenty years ago I didn't thing about the dangers.

cheric November 3rd, 2002 04:39 PM

I used the plastic bags on our last cruise and never had a wrinkle. However, my dry cleaner charged me five cents a bag but it was worth it. I also take a small steamer, just in case, but haven't had to use it yet.

Don G November 4th, 2002 04:46 PM

What's wrong with looking a little rumpled?

A sport coat falls out eventually and you can pack so the shirt collars remain intact. Other than that, who cares? My Lands End/Target wardrobe looks fine after being stuffed in a bag.

The dresses my wife packs look fine, I guess. Granted her bag is just slightly smaller than her closet. Clothes from Tilley and Megellan pack particularly well. Think her duty black dress comes from them.

Stuff your clothes in a duffle bag and adopt a confident, casual, comfortable, well traveled (worn) up yours attitude.

pamda November 4th, 2002 05:22 PM

Or just wear linen. It's supposed to look wrinkled. That's how you know it's real and not ployester.