CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   dress code (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/241992-dress-code.html)

sereus May 12th, 2003 04:16 PM

dress code

Do you have to dress in formal attire for dinner in the evening? My family is going on the Legend in June and I was wondering if a woman could wear black dress slacks and a fancy/pretty top and low heels and it be acceptable attire and not a "dress". Just how formal is the 'captain's dinner" and the sit down dinners in the restaurants at the early seating?

PEB May 13th, 2003 10:57 AM

Re: dress code

You will always find someone who would say you must be totally formal, however what you describe is similar to what my wife wears on formal nights and there has never been a problem with in on any of the 5 cruise lines we have sailed on. I have also seen other women wearing something similar to that.

MaryLou May 13th, 2003 12:59 PM

sereus: I've seen many woman dress as you described for formal night.

jedgar May 13th, 2003 05:26 PM

From the Carnival web site.

What should I pack?
Casual attire is the order of the day, both on board and ashore. For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other evenings ranges from sport coat and tie to casual resort wear. For Alaska and Canada cruises, sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested.

Note: Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room area during dinner.

Marc May 13th, 2003 05:28 PM

Women have it easy...they can go from casual to formal just by dressing up or down a basic black outfit. Men, we have to work at it.

Littlegiles May 13th, 2003 10:55 PM

For you guys in turmoil over a tuxedo here is a hint. If you live anywhere near a Value City Department Store, you can get a nice looking tux (no shirt, tie or vest) for under $100. If you are a frequent cruiser, that is a great deal and should last you years.

Just a thought.

LisaK May 14th, 2003 10:20 AM

you will have 2 Formal nights on your 7-day cruise. The Captain welcome aboard party tends to be more formal than the other night. What you have described sounds just fine.On the other nights resort casual is the dress code, what that basically means is dockers type pants with polo type or hawaiian print shirts for the men, and i like to wear a simple sheath/sun dress with a sweater and low-heeled sandals or capris and a twinset, or dockers type pants and a nice blouse or shirt.

gogetter May 15th, 2003 02:51 AM

HELLO,

Hey jedgar........not all things listed on the website or in the brochure are adhered to.