Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Jodi

Default are birth certificates enough?

We are driving from Seattle to Vancouver at beginning of July to board the Carnival Spirit to Alaska. We have birth certificates, but no passports. Will that be sufficient proof of residency?
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: are birth certificates enough?

You'll need a birth certificate with a raised seal. Not a copy. And a driver's license with a picture.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 18th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: are birth certificates enough?

Hi Jodi,
You should be fine with the origional birth cirtificates and a pic ID, but traveling with a passport is always better, just in case you want to go ahead and apply for passports, here is a link with all the info.:

http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html

They usually take a few weeks to get back, but so much easier having them, I don't leave home without it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
You'll need a birth certificate with a raised seal. Not a copy. And a driver's license with a picture.

Regards,
Thomas
I was going to ask this question also. We are going on an extended family cruise this August, leaving from, and returning to, Seattle. One family only has their birth certificates. I was very nervous about them not having passports or passcards. As long as they are allowed on the cruise with these, it'll put my mind at ease. I was wondering also if they could disembark in Victoria with just their birth certificates.
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Admiral

it am not sure, but i think that birth certificates are no longer good enough, there is a form of id that is more than a birth certificate but less than a full passport that is good for travel in and out of Canada
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Lisa,
I noticed the OP posted that back in 2003, so different rules these days.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:46 PM
First Mate

Default Passport

YOU NEED A PASSPORT TO GO OUT OF US AND TO COMING BACK.
It is so easy to get it for 10 years.Do you really think you can go to Canada with a birth certificate?Good luck.Have a nice cruise anyway.
MTL
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Technically the problem is not entering (Canadian officials didn't check anything on a recent cruise) but rather re-entering the U.S. once you are back in Seattle. There U.S. customs and immigration officials will require documents.

For the most part, passports are now required to travel within the western hemisphere (including Canada). However according to the U.S. Embassy website, there is an exception for cruises:

Cruises

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by Department of State, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

(A passport is a much safer way to go - but you might be able to get by without one.)
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The original question concerns traveling from Seattle to Vancouver by land.

In 2003 you didn't need a passport or a passport card. Now you will need a passport or passport card to cross a land border.

If you are leaving Seattle by cruise ship and you return to Seattle (closed loop) then you can sail with just a certified birth certificate and government issued photo ID (drivers license).

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
it am not sure, but i think that birth certificates are no longer good enough, there is a form of id that is more than a birth certificate but less than a full passport that is good for travel in and out of Canada
I live in Canada and since July 1, 2009 American's have to have a passport to get back into the U.S.