Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2004, 01:29 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default When packing...should you

I'm trying to get things together so I can start packing a little bit...some of the dress colthes that I have to pack I am ironing before hand...Like my dresses and his suit and shirts...I was told to put in the plastic dry cleaning bags this way they won't wrinkle as much...I want to keep them on hangers..are plastic ones better or the ones that you get with your drycleaning? I'm thinking metal dector...I'm really confused on packing and I'm making myself sick...Help Please

Triumph 7-24-04
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: When packing...should you

i aways use the metal hangers that come from the dry cleaners when i hang my clothes in the garment bag for traveling, these are checked bags, they go through the scanners with no problems. Not to mention that the metal hangers take up much less space than the plastic ones.
Old July 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Doreen;
Even though I am not allowed by my DW to pack any dress clothes, I do know that you should go with the metal hangers that you get from the dry cleaners. They take up far less space. Don't worry about the scanners. The TSA knows the difference between a coat hanger and a bomb. At least I hope so. <VBG> Also, these clothes will be in your checked bags and not your carry on.

You can transfer the clothes from the metal hangers to the ones provided in your stateroom if you desire, once you are on the ship.

"Mommie Dearest" may be upset with this answer but it is the most practical one in this situation.

Take care and have a wonderful cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: When packing...should you

I'm making myself sick with this packing crap...ontop of I'm not happy that I can't lock my bags and that anyone working with the airlines or whomever can have easy access to my belongings...mind you I won't have any valuables in my checked bags...but still...that aggravates me. Is it necessary for the formal nights that the man has to be in a suit...are nice dress pants-shirt-tie ok? the jacket will take up more space...I'm thinking the only thing I'll pack in my checked bags are clothing and shoes...all other stuff like cameras and toiletries etc will have to go in my carry on...There is a place where I can iron in case things get wrinkled right? Thanks for your help and advice

Triumph 7-24-04
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Doreen, no irons on board, but the plastic bags work wonderfully. On formal night, at least a suit is what is appropriate.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Doreen

If your ship has a self-serve laundry room they have irons there too. We were on the Inspiration in April 2004 and I used the irons once we arrived to press all the clothes that got wrinkles (which really wasnt much).

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Gerif

Depends on what line you are cruising - HAL has "laundry" rooms with irons, ironing boards and washer/dryers. All other lines, I believe, you need to send your stuff out for them to do. The spray on wrinkle release stuff really does work, though!

If you don't want to bring a suit for formal nights, you may eat either in the buffet or have room service (some lines have other alternative restaurants where you may also eat). While no one is going to deny you dining room access if you are in a shirt and long pants on those nights, it would be respectful of your tablemates if you dressed appropriately.
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:19 PM
First Mate

I'm sailing on the Carnival's Triumph...I just went on the site to see if I find any info out about irons etc...I couldn't...does anyone know if Triumph has laundry facilities available? What's the name of that wrinkle release stuff?

Triumph 7-24-04
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:41 PM
AR

Doreen--

Despite a lot of good advice you've been getting, you still seem to be about to blow a circuit.

A couple perspectives:

Keep in mind that a cruise is supposed to be FUN. You're going to need a cruise just to unwind from the torment you're putting yourself through now. I only hope you're can relax once you're on board.

You may well be upset about the no locks on luggage rule, but take solace in a couple of facts: 1) everybody's in the same situation, so you're not being singled out. 2) Those stupid suitcase locks are virtually worthless anyway. As my dad used to say, "They're locks for honest people, not for crooks." 3) If the TSA opens your bags it's because the scanner spotted something interesting (although almost always innocent).

Just because it's called a metal detector doesn't mean you're not allowed to bring metal with you. Coat hangers are fine, as several people have pointed out. By and large it's the SHARP metal things that are prohibited--and then only in your carryon.

If something gets wrinkled and there are no irons, or magic sprays, or plastic bags, or whatever, here's what you should do: put on the damn clothes and go wherever you're going. Nobody, repeat, nobody will notice or care. If they take a photo and you can see a wrinkle, have the photo digitally altered when you get home.

Have a nice cruise.
Old July 15th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Downy Wrinkle Release.......and Doreen, I do think you are getting yourself too worked up over the packing issue. I have cruised 5 times since 9/11 and all those cruises involved and I have flown a few times more besides those trips. I have never had anything missing from my suitcases. I use the cable ties.......and if the TSA does open your bag and search, they then retie them with another cable tie and put a note inside telling you the bag was searched. AR is right....those flimsy luggage locks really are for the honest people.

Old July 15th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

what are cable ties????

I hadn't even thought about worrying about this stuff yet.

Old July 16th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Cable ties are used for a variety of things. Used by electricians to bundle wires together, they also have many other uses. One is to fasten the zippers together on soft- sided luggage. Just be careful that some are very difficult to remove. We cut them with a pair of fingernail clippers, the only thing that airport security will let you take on your carry-on luggage. Try them out before you leave.
We've gotten some cheap cable ties at Wal-Mart in the hardware section.

http://www.uline.com/Group_65.asp?pricode=wd92

When we have been screened at the airport, we were allowed to put our locks on the luggage after the TSA person screens them.

Ed

Post Edited (07-16-04 08:38)

Norwegian Majesty
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:13 AM
AR

cthm27--

Good!! Not worrying is a wonderful idea.

Sometimes these boards can turn looking forward to a perfectly wonderful cruise into a paranoid panic attack. That's unfortunate, and it really shouldn't happen.

Keep the perspective that just about everybody survives their cruise, and those who worry least have the most fun.
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Doreen - you are getting waaay to stressed out over nothing.
1. Hanger situation solved- use the metal hangers & the plastic bags to prevent wrinking.
2. Carnival is the most casual of the cruise lines. For formal nights DH could get away with a nice pair of dress pants, dress shirt, dress shoes & a tie in the main dining rooms if you didn't want to pack his suit. Suits don't take up a lot of room, actually if you
pack the pants & shirt on the hanger under the jacket..
3. Use the wire/cable ties to secure your checked bags, bring extra, and put a pair of nail clippers in the outside zipper compartment of your checked bags.
4. Cameras should definately be put in your carry-on luggage. The checked baggage scanners will ruin any film. If you are using 600+ speed film, have your carry-on bag hand checked at the airport and the cruise terminal.
5. Pack the Downy Wrinkle release. Check the deck plans on your ship to see if they have a self-service laundry. ( I think so) if they do then irons are available for use.
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:56 PM
maho

khakis, shirt and tie are fine
my hubby only wore his suit one night
kind of a waste to pack it just for that

next time shirt and tie
he still looks pretty good in just that ; )
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:51 AM
First Mate

"khakis, shirt and tie are fine" ???
Formal night means formal night...Save the packing and the "wrinkle" worry..rent a tux via the cruise line...its painless , pressed and waiting in your room when you board.
This is a cruise , not a trip to the local gin mill. ( IMHO)

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:27 AM
valtime

The easiest thing to do is the old fashioned "turn on the shower (hot) and steam up the bathroom. Hang your clothes in the steamed up room and relax with a drink until all the wrinkles are gone." The drink will help you not see any wrinkles that could be left - either on your clothes, bodies or faces :-)
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:23 PM
First Mate

That's too funny...I was actually thinking on that line also...

I can't help but to get myself sick with the packing and all...this is the first time the hubby and I have been alone on a trip since our honeymoon...We're celebrating our 20th for the 1st time ever. Son was born on our 1st and always did his birthday...I don't want to over pack or underpack...I'm also thinking that this is our vacation and I want to be comfortable...shorts-tanks-t-shirts-etc...don't want to worry about looking exceptionally nice for dinner...I just want to have fun. Next week at this time I'll be boarding the ship and hopefully all my worries will be left behind.

Triumph 7-24-04
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:22 PM
SharB

Doreen:

I check and found this web site that says there are self service laundries with irons and ironing boards on the Triumph:

http://www.cruisesonly.com/reviews/e...1&vessel_id=30
Old July 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Admiral

I would suggest bringing extra undergarments & shirts (but dont' overdo!). Once we used the self service laundry and were down there for HOURS because it was so crowded. I swore not to do that again........who wants to waste a LOT of time in the laundry room on their vacation??

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:42 PM
First Mate

Harry Martin:

Your Andy looks exactly like my Buddy, who is also a male Maltese. I've had a lot of dogs in my lifetime and I have two now, but this little guy is really special and they have such wonderful personalities. I enjoy seeing his picture each time I log onto Cruisemates.

Anita