Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Default What part of the ship to book a cabin?

I'm a first time cruiser, going for the budget-minded cruise. When it comes to picking a cabin, what part of the ship (within a deck, as in front, middle, or back of ship) is best? How do you know if you're going to be right under a disco, or right next to a kitchen? Help!
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What part of the ship to book a cabin?

pick a ship, go to that cruise lines web site and look at the deck plans. We like midships cabins if we can get them on the middle decks. Remember that the higher you go the higher the price, the lower you go the lower the price.
Old June 20th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Andee Bram

Because my husband has a tendency towards motion sickness, we select a cabin in the middle of the ship, as low as possible. We don't like to be above or below any public areas because of the possibility of noise.
Old June 20th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Midtowngirl,
You may want to check out this site and look at the deck plans, make sure your cabin has guest cabins above and below and you should have no noise problem. Also its a good idea to see where elevators and stairs are:

http://www.cruisestateroom.com/84793...hips-frame.htm

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM
Passenger

ooh! great info! Thanks!!!
Old June 21st, 2003, 11:30 AM
Yeoman

I like the middle of the ship for deck and room. Inside is the cheapest,and if you are not in your room that much you will benefit pricewise. The price difference from lower deck to middle is really not that much.

I like the middle decks because we take the stairs instead of waiting for the elevators and usually the buffets are on decks 11 or higher and dining rooms on deck 4 or 5, if you are in the middle you can go in either direction pretty easily.

I agree about location, be sure you are not under the disco or kitchen galley or elevators (I made that mistake on the Horizon by being under the kitchen galley...yikes...I'll never make that one again). Now I sandwich myself betwen two decks of rooms.

Keep in mind the mega ships have great stabilizers, so you don't feel the roll as much, the smaller older ships you will.

What I like to do is go to a travel agency, even Walmart has them and pick up the catalogs for the cruise line you are interested in, or go on the ship's website and have them send you one. These are like my bibles. You can see the entire ship deck plans at a glance and it makes it much easier to see the rooms, kitchen, discos etc. You will see exactly what rooms fall under which areas.

Hope this helped. Happy cruising.