Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Ronica

Default Making Phone Calls

This may be a silly questions but I am going on my first cruise in October and leaving my 8 year old daughter behind. This will be the longest I have ever been away from her. Can someone tell me the best/cheapest way to call her everyday or at least every other day? Do cell phones work, should I use calling card to call home from ports....what is cheaper or easier? Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Making Phone Calls

Ronica......calling from the ship using the satellite phone is VERY expensive (anywhere between $5 and $10 a minute depending on which cruise line you are on.) Cell phones may or may not work (it depends on where you are sailing and if your cell provider has service there.) The cheapest way to call would be from your ports of call using a phone card (make sure it can be used where you are going.)

An easier and cheaper way to keep in touch may be through email. Can you set up an email account for your daughter? You can email her from the ship or the port and she can email you back. Usually much cheaper than phoning home.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:45 PM
Ronica

Default Re: Making Phone Calls

Thanks. Yes, she will be staying with my mom who has an e-mail account. I will get a phone card so I can call from ports but the e-mail may be a better way to keep in touch more regularly! Thanks for the info!!!