Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:30 AM
JLKoag

Default Forget Passport

What would happen if you did not have your passport (or, birth certificate) when checking in? Would they really not allow you on the ship and send you home???

Two years ago I got off an airplane in Ft. Lauderdale, and because it was warm, I packed the jacket I was wearing until then - guess what was in the jacket pocket? Dumb, dumb, dumb, and I still haven't lived it down (I shouldn't - lol). My brother boarded, and with some help with the ship's staff found the suitcase and brought the passport to me so I could get on (this was pure luck when you consider the number of suitcases).

But, I always wondered, what would have happened if we didn't find the suitcase - anyone know? Thanx.

jlk

ps--an acquaintance of ours said that this happened to him going to the Carribian, but they let him on only with a driver's license - he is a real nice guy, but has a tendency to tell tall tales, so I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Forget Passport

Hi JL,
Don't forget, once you have started the cruise and have your sign/sail card, thats what you need to get back onboard...

I think today though if you don't have proper identification when you first board, they don't let you on, so be sure to keep that passport in a safe place.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

JL:
I personally witnessed two people denied boarding the Carnival Legend in January of 2003 because they only had their drivers license as ID. They were demanding to speak to "The person in charge" at the time I left the check in area so I do not know for sure if they boarded but I do know that I never saw them again.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 8th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Yes they would have denied you boarding. You can no longer sign an affidavit stating you are a US Citizen when you board and get away with it. (Yes you could do that pre 9/11 as we once had to after misplacing our docs) Now, no way are you allowed to board without the proper ID including one that proves you are a US Citizen such as a Birth Certificate or a Passport.
Jim

Now before you get the but what if...stuff, yes a non-US citizen needs their Passport or green card.

Old December 9th, 2004, 02:26 PM
dan p

What we did was copied our passport and keep it with us all the time.When we get off the ship we keep the original on the ship.
Old December 9th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Admiral

In todays environment anyone travelling offshore should in the near future expect to produce a passport or a recognised document that has at least photographic proof of the person presenting it and I understand driving licences, birth certificates will soon be not be accepted.

A passport is the answer and a sad reflection of our times, but it makes sense and reflects how the industry is moving for security reasons. Here in the UK, we cannot get on an internal flight now without a passport as proof of person presented

For backup, Dan's passport copy tip is a good one as it will have all the required data, serial numbers etc. No way I would take my passport on shore, but the copy along with your boarding card should be enough to get back on board or provide proof to your consulate in a foreign country if you happen to get left behind in unforseen cirumstances, lets say ill health whilst ashore and not on an organised trip

Post Edited (12-10-04 14:49)
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Admiral

On the contrary to previous stories, my husband & I traveled with our son & his friend. Well, guess who left their passport in his luggage? Yes, my son's friend....HOWEVER, they did not make him find his suitcase and present his passport. Dont' know if it had anything to do with being in the Captain's Club, but they did not give him any hassle, lucky for us!

I wouldn't recommend trying it tho...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Jean,
When did this happen and how old was your son's friend? Since 9/11/01 it is very irregular for them to allow an adult to board without proper identification. If it was on your 02 or 04 cruise he was a very lucky man and the cruise line made an exception to their own rules.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old December 14th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Yeoman

Just to clarify....I am a non-US citizen and I only needed a birth certificate & driver's license to cruise in Sept./04. I hope this is still the case as we are going again in Feb./05 and don't have passports!
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Mike,

He was 17 at the time and it was in July of this year. I was very surprised too! Maybe they figured he didn't look like a terrorist, but we know that some "citizens" have done terrible things. On the other hand, we know they put 79 year old grandmoms thru additional searches at the airport....go figure!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Jean:
Thanks, I can understand if he was a minor and a documented person vouched for him but at seventeen he did get lucky. I know I can't tell a seventeen year old from 18 or many 21 year olds anymore. I guess my days as a bouncer are over. :-)

Also to get things back on track JL's original question was, what would happen if you did not have your passport or birth certificate and tried to board the ship. One or the other is required. The birth certificate also requires some other of form of government issued identification such as a drivers license.

Take care,
Mike

Old December 21st, 2004, 07:31 PM
CindyK

Just a little FYI - when I went to apply for my passport the agent told me that they have plans to being embedding chips into the passport that if it should be lost they will be able to use GPS locator to locate the missing passport.