Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Terri Ann

Default Insulin syringe packing question

Fellow mates,

I posted this under the packing forum, but thought I might get better response here. I apologize if this is a no-no. I am diabetic and use insulin. Am I allowed to take my syringes on my carry-on for my flight to Miami? If I check them and the luggage is late or lost etc, I would be in big trouble. They are prepackaged. I have not flown since 9-11 and I suppose they could be considered a "sharp".

I appreciate any advice from those that have experience with this situation. Thank you. I cruise in 11 days and I am ready to go, but just thought of this tonite.

Terri
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Andee

Default Re: Insulin syringe packing question

Although I can't specifically address the insulin syringe question, I carry an Epi-pen in case of a severe allergic reaction, and it also has a needle. Only once in about 20 flights since 9/11 have I been questioned about it. Just in case, I carry a letter from my physician.
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:07 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Take a letter from your physician and or a copy of the prescription. Insulin is a life saving medication and cannot be withheld from you. As long as you have the written back up it will be fine!

Old December 21st, 2004, 01:38 AM
Terri Ann

Default Re: Re: Insulin syringe packing question

Everyone so far,

Thank you. It makes sense to have a letter with me. I will call my doc today and get it. The great thing about this board is that I knew where to go to ask.

Terri
Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:41 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

My late husband was also an insulin dependent diabetic, We cruised 12/01, 11/02 and 6/03. In all cases we carried all meds and the syringes in his carry on. All had the original perscription label. We also had a letter from his Dr. but never had to use it. They questioned his PDA and cigar lighter (small flame thrower).
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:14 PM
lawyergirl

My mother is a diabetic and carried her syringes in her carrying on luggage. No one even questioned her. However, as the others have stated, have a letter from your doctor handy and also the prescription. You should be fine.
Old December 25th, 2004, 07:33 PM
amyc

Depending on the type of insulin you use, there are prefilled pens that you can dial your dose, and the only sharp is a lancet type thing that attaches to the end of the cardtridge, both Lilly and NovoNordisk offer these type of devices, usually covered by insurance and may be easier to travel with..hope this helps! (amyc who is a pharmacist)
Old December 28th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Admiral

Terri,

My wife is diabetic, and she gets a note from her MD before every trip we take. She has never been challenged but one never knows.

On another note, when you get to the ship, go to the infirmery and get a sharps container for your used syringes (and lancets, if you test).

Have a great time!

Ed

Norwegian Majesty