Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Default Are teens allowed to work out?

We are going on the Mariner of the Seas June 11, 2005. My 15 year old son is into weight lifting and working out. We were wondering if teens are allowed in the exercise area of the ship.
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:37 AM
only1athom

Default Re: Are teens allowed to work out?

I have been told before that the age is 18- up. My son also lifts weights, he will be 13 by the time we go on our next cruise, not sure if he will be able to lift.
Old February 6th, 2005, 12:40 PM
i-love-rugby

im 16, and also have to run at least an hour, and weight train
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Admiral

You must be 18 to use the facilities on your own. A 16 yr old can use them when accompanied by an adult. Under 16 are not allowed. FYI most Doctors and nutritionists etc do not recoomend that anyone under the age of 16 ever lift weights or do bodybuilding as the body is still growing too much and it could do more harm than good.
Jim

Old February 6th, 2005, 05:51 PM
cali-croozer

Jim...........that rule sounds like Carnival's. Do you know if that's the standard for all cruiselines, or should each of the posters contact the individual cruise lines for their rules?
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I know that that is also the rule for Princess and Celebrity........not sure about RCCL.

Old February 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Admiral

The poster should contact all lines for confirmation but to the best of my knowledge that is the rule onboard all of them. I would love to say that I know what all of them do but can't until I sail onboard all of them. That is basically a dream come true but one can only hope. <G>
Jim

Old February 7th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Passenger

My sons Dr. knows he lifts weights and trains and says it is fine as long as an experienced trainer /or my husband is with him, to make sure he doesn't overdo and hurt himself. He started lifting when he played football this fall and went through conditioning at school which is "running and weight lifting", now he is playing Soccer and it is the same thing, running and weight lifting, getting ready for the Spring Soccer season. We are also very much into nutrition in our home.

I talked to my TA and she said as long as he was with my husband and working out, not hanging out it was ok, since he is close to being 16. In other words do his exercise routine and leave. We are going on the Mariner and he will probably just run and rock climb and rollar blade that should be workout enough.
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Yes he 'might' get away with it and not be bothered but they also may inform him that he is not allowed in there and ask him to leave, parent or not. Understand the TA does not tell the cruiseline what they have to do. I am sure you know this but when you said the TA told you it would be okay, that set of some alarm bells about the honesty of your TA.
Jim

Old February 8th, 2005, 06:54 PM
cali-croozer

Agree with Jim..........it may work out, it may not. Sometimes TAs will tell you what you want to hear. In my experience it was a Carnival representative at a cruise fair telling me anything I wanted to hear and then only finding out, once on board, the "real" rules. (it was about Camp Carnival, by the way......long story, but, in the end, didn't affect my cruise. We had a great time. It's just that the cruise rep at the travel showsmisrepresented their product)
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Passenger

Well like I said, I think there is enough to do on the ship to work out besides lift weights, I was just curious if anyone knew for sure. The post was made before I talked to my TA. By the way, my TA called RCCL while I was talking to her and asked about this and some other questions I had. that is what they told her. She is a reputable TA with 30 plus years of experience in the industry. If any wrong info was passed it was from whoever she talked to at RCCL. It is no big deal!

Gosh I was just curious about the policys of the exercise facilities. I don't need a lecture on whether or not my travel agent is honest and reputable, or that I don't have enough sense to check with my sons Dr. before allowing him to workout.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Beach,
No lectures and sorry if it sounded that way. I am sure you have your sons best interest and health in mind. We were just explaining to you the ships policies and the reasons for them. These forums are also often a better place to get the 'true' information as nobody here has an interest either way and speak usually from first hand information and not from the sales information and service manual. <G> I am sure you and your family will have a wonderful time and that yes, you will find tons of things to do to keep even the most active person busy.
Jim

Old February 9th, 2005, 01:14 PM
cali-croozer

Oh........I didn't mean it that way either. Just an FYI because of what happened to me.
Have a fun cruise.
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Passenger

That is ok! A simple yes, it is allowed or no, it's not is all I was looking for. I know you meant well, but it came across that things were getting way off the subject. If something is against the rules then we don't break the rule, but if it is ok, we might want to participate. These forums do contain a wealth of information. I always do a lot of research before we cruise or take a land vacation about the things there are to do and see. We have cruised before, but this will be our first time with RCCL.
Old February 11th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have sailed many times on RCCL. My son also lifts and works out regularly. The posted age requirement is 16 with an Adult. I suggest you talk with the fitness center personnel and ask them if they have any objection to your son using the facility under parental supervision. I have done this and usually have been allowed unless there were alot of people using the facility. The policy is in place to discourage kids from hanging out in the fitness center and possibly getting hurt horsing around. Kids who have a routine usually don't fall into this category.