Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Elena Lamberson

Default cell phones & lap tops

Maybe you guys might know. Is it worth the effort to bring our lap top on the Golden Princess to the Caribbean south on 2/13 and on the Sun Princess southbound to Vancouver on 7/25? My husband's elderly mother's facility often needs to speak to him on a daily basis, plus we have teenagers we need to keep tabs on w/ the relatives.

Basically, I am trying to decide, should we just pay to use the ships computers or bring our laptop and pay to use on line time on our own computer? Or, do these ships have computers for the passengers to use (if so, it is jammed all the time?)

Do cell phones work on the ship or while in port?

Thanks

Elena
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: cell phones & lap tops

Cell phones will work in port. Check with your cellular company about foreign calls though. I used my cell phone in Jamaica with no problems.

As for the laptop, it may be safer to use the ships computers. I wouldn't trust leaving my laptop anywhere as it has too much on it to loose.

Holiday May 2000
Old January 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Elena:

Your cell phone will not work at sea unless it is a satellite phone. If it works in a foreign port depends on who your provider is and even then the rates can be high. On your Alaska cruise you should have little problem with getting service in most of the ports and if you have a nation wide plan you may well be covered under that plan while you are in Alaskan ports.

In the Caribbean I would use an international calling card, such as MCI or ATT. However most of the pay phones at the ports are now privately owned and require a credit card and charge higher rates. It may be worth it for the convenience. It is still less than the ship.

In regard to the laptop. I have taken mine on 15 cruises and have never had a problem. The only issue is that in cabin Internet connections leave a lot to be desired. Princess ships now have wireless access available for laptops in the atrium area. If you don't have a wireless laptop or don't want to bring it I would just use the Internet Café. There are usually plenty of terminals available, especially early morning or late evening.

Take care and have fun on the cruises.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:15 PM
LauraA

Default Re: Re: cell phones & lap tops

So can I access the internet ithmy own laptop? I would love to be able to download my digital pics and email them to my kids.
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Laura:

Most ships do offer in cabin Internet access. It is basically a dial-up/modem type of access. There is a charge for it. You will pay anywhere from .75/minute to a flat $100/week for useage. As I said before the service often leaves a lot to be desired. It can be slow and very intermittent with many lost connections. I often try it and if I am not satisfied I return their connection equipment (if needed) and request a refund. I have yet had an instance when the refund has been refused.

I imagine if I had used it all week and then decided I wanted a refund they would probably object.

I will say that I have good connections on Celebrity and Princess. Royal Caribbean and Carnival were not good.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Admiral

the internet cafe on the Golden Princess is very nice. I think that setting up an e-mail account just to check in at home would be the way to go. The computer connections in the cabin are not that great, very slow and you can really rack up the per minute charges.
Cell phones do not work at sea unless they are satellite phones. Some ports have cell towers some do not. Use calling cards or go to the phone calling centers that the crew uses, they know which ones are the best and cheapest.