Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM
marie&rick

Default traditional or personal choice dining?

We will be cruising Princess in February and we've got early seating (6:30pm). Has anyone tried the personal choice dining? Do you have to wait in line?
Which do you prefer ?
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: traditional or personal choice dining?

I prefer the traditional seating, but if you already have that and want to try out the P.C., you can always try that too. It would be nice to let your regular wait staff know that the next evening you will be doing that, so they know.. Once you have P.C. dining you can't just try out traditional.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Its totally up to you. Since you are booked for traditional early seating, you have the option to try Anytime Dining, inform your waiter the night before, so they won't be waiting for you. You can make reservations for Anytime Dining if you wish so that you avoid waiting in line. You might have to wait if you choose to dine during "peak" dinner hours, without a reservation.
We prefer tradtional dining, we like the personal attention from a wait-staff that gets to know you and what you like and dislike.
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:52 PM
marie&rick

Default Re: Re: traditional or personal choice dining?

Thanks for the advice. We've always done traditional dining but if you also have the option to try personal choice, I think that's what we'll do.
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM
RMT

We were on the Caribbean Princess during Thanksgiving week, we had Personal Choice dining and never had any problems. No wait, very friendly waitstaff, etc.
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Beginner

What is personal choice dining? Is it another term for buffet dining? Please explain.
Thanks.
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Van,
No PC dining is in a regular dining room, with menu's and waiters, etc. You just pick any time you want to go down and eat.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I like personal choice dining -- seems to take the schedule out of the cruise, and on some cruises, Art and I would rather just the two of us.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:26 PM
cali-croozer

Harry, can you give us some tips on how to use personal choice dining. I have read that some people actually had to schedule more because they couldn't get into the dining room they wanted or there was a long wait. I heard they had to make reservations at the different restaurants for the entire cruise. Did you dine at off times or is it because you were a small group(2) that it was easier to dine when you wanted?
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Mary Hayes

Hi Harry,

Have never cruised before. My husband doesn't want to have to sit with a lot of people every night for dinner. Is PC dining related to this--can you make reservations for just two or at least for a smaller group? Thanks!!!
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Hi Mary and Cali,

I've heard that it's difficult to book a big table if you are a group, but it seems to me otherwise that Personal Choice aims at people wishing for 2 to 4-seat tables.

We've done it 3 times on Princess, and have been happy every time. Especially with the Sapphire, Diamond and Caribbean Princess, a big draw is the number of restaurants you can pick from.

We normally dine between 7:30 and 8 p.m. and have never had to wait more than 10 minutes or so for a table (that was in the Asian restaurant). Most others, we walked right up. The steakhouse on Princess does seem to fill up the fastest, so I would recommend reservations here (especially on formal night). In our case, we had to book it for a day later because it was all full the night we wanted to go.

Another big benefit is that you are also given the traditional dining room menu to choose from, so even if one in your party can't stand Asian food, you still can go, and your partner can dine off the tradiitonal menu.

Mary, especially with regard to your husband's desire not to dine with others, Personal Choice is the best option. We get in that mode, too, at times ... especially if it's been a busy work time before the cruise.

Another downside to Personal Choice is that you don't so easily meet new people or make new friends on board. I address this by being chattier when shopping in the stores, or when in port, so that I can get my chat time in. :-)

Hope this all helps,
Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:15 PM
cali-croozer

Harry........thank for replying, very informative.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Glad I could help.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Yeoman

If you find a waiter you like, you can request a table in his area. That way the waiter gets to know you just like in traditional dining. You can opt to dine alone or with other passengers if you meet someone you enjoy. You can be seated with other passengers that you don't know giving you a chance to meet others. We like eating alone, though, because we find it more relaxing than having to make converstation with strangers. We go on the cruise to relax.

On the Sun, we never had to wait even when we requested a table in one particular waiter's section. Most nights we went about the time of the early seating and never made reservations.

Personal Choice is like going to a very nice restaurant at home.