Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Quincella

Default Airfare to Hawaii

I'm sailing on POAloha on 10/23/05, and I'm trying to figure out when would be the best time to purchase airline tickets. I understand that I'm going in an off-peak time, so I would think that rates would go down.

My question is when do rates usually go down for fall travel, and what is a reasonable price to pay for a RT ticket to Honolulu from Atlanta? Right now the lowest I can find is about $740.

Thanks! Any advice at all will be greatly apprciated!
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2005, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.
Default Re: Airfare to Hawaii

$740 is kinda steep from Atlanta seeing how Delta is based out of there. But that also could be the reason it is so high. I live in Minneapolis where Northwest is based and flight prices are through the roof here because they run a monopoly of the gates here.

You might want to wait a few months before booking.

$740 is not horrible, is it a nonstop flight? I wouldn't forsee it gettin much higher than that since that is an offpeak time.

Maybe call a travel agent and in a roundabout way ask them "when is a good time to vacation in hawaii with cheap flights and how far in advance should I book?"

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 10/27/2007

Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 2/24/2008

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii Circle Cruise - Fall 2008

Past Cruises:
Grand Princess - W. Caribbean - Jan 2006
Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - Jan 2005
Radiance of The Seas - September 2006 - 14 nights R/T Los Angeles to Hawaii
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Quincella

Default Re: Re: Airfare to Hawaii

Thanks for the advice. I have thought of calling a travel agent ot ask but am not sure how interested they would be in helping since I won't be booking anything through them (and they don't get commissions off of airfare anymore anyway).

Believe it or not, Delta is not the cheapest ($828 as of today). They are the only non-stop though, which may actually persuade me to spend the money and book with them. Although the thought of spending 9 hours on a plane without being able to move around much isn't very appealing, neither is the thought of dragging it out to 13 or 14 hours just so I can walk around!

Thanks again,
Quincy
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:23 AM
bigtrigger

Try booking from Atlanta to Los Angeles, then LA to Honolulu. I did that last month and it came out to be 470.00 rt Good luck
Old February 8th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Quincella

Default Re: Re: Airfare to Hawaii

What a great idea! Thanks!
Old February 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM
David Starkey

Routing your ticket through LA usually seems to save quite a bit if you are carefull and shop around. ..As always I checkout what type of aircraft and seating different carriers and flight have. It is very important on long haul flights(for comfort). Frequently Delta planes pack them in werse than some of the other major players to Hawaii. I know United offered better seating and fares on my last flt to Hawaii.
Check out seatguru.com for seating on most planes and flights. It has helped me make better choices of airlines and aircraft for long haul flights.
Its worth checking out.
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:16 PM
First Mate

I took Delta to Hawaii and was stuck in the middle seat in the middle section all the way back to Atlanta. You definitely don't want that. Try Atlanta to LA and then a smaller carrier like Aloha Airlines the rest of the way.