Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM
clem

Default On/Off ship in Bermuda

I posted this under Cruise Lines, but only got 1 repsonse...so here goes again... We are sailing on the Voyager this summer and will be docked in Bermuda from 7am on Tues, until 5pm on Wednesday. We want to make the best use of our time, so we would like get back on the ship late on Tues., and get off early on Wed.. Once the ship has passed customs when it docks, are you free to come and go at any time the ship is in port? Or are there certain times you can get on/off even when you are docked? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: On/Off ship in Bermuda

I haven't sailed Carnival. However, whenever we have overnighted in port we were able to get on and off whenever we wanted. In Bermuda, it was no problem.

Have fun! We loved Bermuda.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:01 AM
AR

I've never been on a ship in Bermuda or anywhere else where you couldn't get on and off whenever you wanted.

How convient that will be will depend on which of the three Bermuda ports you are using. Chances are you won't be in St. Georges, so that means you'll either be in downtown Hamilton or at King's Wharf on the west side of the island. Downtown Hamilton is literally across the street from downtown. King's Wharf is a ferry ride away. King's Wharf has its own shopping area, but in our experience they roll up the sidewalks there at about 5:00 and there's absolutely nothing happening.

The better cruise lines provide free ferry service to Hamilton, but there's also a public ferry. Go and come as often as you want, but leave time coming back for the ferry ride.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:57 AM
Admiral

once the ship has cleared customs you are free to come and go as you please. You will have to swipe your ships id card everytime you board the ship. Consider your ship your hotel for the night when docked in Bermuda
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
gerif

Kings Wharf has started a "street fair" on Tuesday nights until 10 p.m. (when Voyager will be docked there overnight). Probably just for this purpose.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
Parrot Mom

The St. George Fair is Tuesday and the Street Fair in Hamilton is on Wednesday night... As for getting on and off the ship...no problem.. You realize it only counts when the ship is ready to leave....also, if the ship has to leave earier you will see messages on the outside of some of the shops on 'Front Street or as you depart the ship. You didn't say which docks you will be at.. Plus, there are now four high speed ferries that will take you from St. George to Hamilton or the Dockyard.. plus of course the buses.. We have only had to leave Bermuda a day earlier a few years ago because of an unexpected storm that came up.. The Government of Bermuda requires ALL SHIPS leave the docks and head out to sea if a storm comes up.. In previous years they have had docks that have been pulled away from their moorings, plus in St. George there is a problem going through the strait in bad weather.
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:42 AM
clem

We will be on the Voyager, that will be docked at King's Wharf. So glad to hear about the Street Fair...can someone explain exactly what that is? Thanks for all of your help!
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: On/Off ship in Bermuda

The street fair is in Hamilton. The last time we were in Bermuda we were docked in Hamilton while it was going on but it was a rain shower going through so we did not get a lot of time to enjoy it.
Basically, they close off a portion of the street right in front of the ships for a few hours. There was a band set up and played island music and venders were selling art work, jewelry, and crafts. They also had a lot of food up for grabs.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM
gerif

Default Re: Re: Re: On/Off ship in Bermuda

The street fair in Kings Wharf is NEW this year, so no one has experienced it as yet. Whatever - I'm sure it will be nice.
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well then I apologize. I may need to take another cruise to experience it for myself. Kings Wharf needed some life any ways.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:44 PM
frank555

Hi. Everytime we docked on my last two cruises, all you had to do is show your keycard. I know some ports are so popular that the ship asks you to avoid coming back on for the first hour or so b/c you'll be going against everyone trying to get off the ship. Also the staff may be not be available to swipe you back in if there is a mass exodus leaving the ship.

I think once the bulk fo the passengers leave, usually the first 2 hours, you are free to come and go as you please. But I would call RCCL or your TA to doublecheck. I am sailing on the VOS on 9/4 for the 5 day Bermuda cruise too.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Mike Newburger

Dear Clem,

I just read your note about Bermuda, and I'll try and answer your question. I've been going to the island for over 3 decades, so I think I know the place a little!
First, if you're docking at Hamilton you can walk on and off and be right in town, as you're literally on Front Street where all the stores are. Be aware please that the only big dept. store open right now is Smiths' which has a good assortment of seathers, etc. If you know specifically what you're shopping for, I can try and directt you to a store.
St. George's which is on the East End of Bermuda is much smaller and quieter. Again, you're just a few minutes from the main square, but the choices in Hamilton are greater in # and size. There are several neat stops in St. George's that are walkable, but if you're a beach lover you may want to get a cab or mini bus that runs pretty regularly between town and a beach on the other side of St. Georges (a good 30 minute walk if you want that).
If you're at Dockyards, which is the other end of the island, there is a shopping center there and they have art stores, etc. to brouse. The store prices are all the same (at branch stores that is) throughout the island, so if you find something you like, another store branch may not have it.
I'm sure they will talk to you about NOT renting mopeds on the island, and they're probably right for a few reasons: They drive on the LEFT, and if you're not comfortable on a scooter, it can get you into trouble. There's lots of taxi's and public busses to get you around (taxi's aren't cheap).
The island is only 21 sq. miles, so you really can't get too lost! If you want to take a 1/2 day island tour, you certainly can do that on your own if you'd like. I'm sure the cruise line has different packages for that, but I think you can get something in town a bit cheaper--the taxi drivers are experts and very friendly--not pushy like other islands.
Please feel free to contact me either through this site or directly. I'd be more then happy to anyswer any further questions or concerns you may have. I think you'll love the island!

Cheers,

Mike N.
newie@kc.rr.com
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:03 AM
clem

Default Re: Re: On/Off ship in Bermuda

Thanks Mike for that information.Very helpful! We will be docking at the Wharf. Now here is another question....We are thinking of playing golf at Port Royal Golf Course...can you tell me how far that is from the Wharf, and what the best way would be to ge there??