Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Passenger

Default Cabin for 4 -- bad idea or do-able?

We'll be sailing in August on the Royal Caribbean to Alaska and have booked a balcony room for 4 of us: 2 parents, 1 teenage daughter, and 1 teenage friend. Our agent assured us it can be done, that the girls (both 17) will sleep on fold-out beds/bunks. We don't plan on spending a whole lot of time in the cabin. I'm thinking us parents are going to be up and out early, the girls can sleep in late, and hopefully we won't be in each other's hair too much.

What do you think? Will we be way too cramped or is it do-able? Yes, cost is a factor, and we'd rather spend our $$ on excursions, etc. Do you very often see 4 to a cabin? Will we regret it? Will we even have enough room for our luggage?
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Dan P

Default Re: Cabin for 4 -- bad idea or do-able?

We did it with three teenager,it was rough so we sat down and tried to make up a plan.The hardest part was showers and getting ready for the evenings,so my wife and I went first[cause i hate to be late]and then went to have a drink befor dinner.Then we would meet thekids at dinner.
It was hard but we did it

Remember a battle plan helps.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send your husband to the spa to shower and dress for dinner and it will help.

It's do-able and if are like most cruisers you won't spend much time in your stateroom anyway.

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:19 PM
cali-croozer

Actually, the quad cabins usually sell out because it's a lot cheaper for families than booking 2 cabins, so you won't be alone. We've done it twice on Carnival. The only time we felt cramped was when we all needed the shower to get ready for dinner. My only concern with your situation is how comfortable you and your husband are being in such close quarters with somebody who's not family...................if it's ok with you, then go for it!
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:23 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

I agree with Dorothy, make use the spa showers. I don't know about Royal Caribbean but on Carnival they are awesome.I used them a couple of times during the seven days we were on the Pride. There were three of us in our cabin so it was never really a problem but I loved those showers in the spa so I was more than happy to be the one to use them. Five shower heads coming from different angles, who wouldn't love a shower like that! I would have never even known about it but I read a post on here from someone who said you HAVE to try the showers in the spa because they are something else!

Having the balcony should help though. Friends with us on that same cruise had four in their cabin and they would take turns getting dressed. Two dressing while the other two were relaxing out on the balcony.

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Teri

We've done it before and are doing it again in August. Its a bit tight, but we don't spend much time in the room. Just make sure no one overpacks. I also have 2 kids take showers at night so they don't need them in the morning which helps cut down on bathroom time.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Boostermom

We've always done it and been OK with a bathroom plan, but this summer are doing two rooms with the girls having an inside cabin across the hall from us. It was more an issue for us because of the bathroom and the fact that our daughters are both in college and have lived away from home, away from our rules about neatness, etc. We ended up spending a little more, but are willing to try it this time. I know if this was the European cruise, we would not spend the extra money on an extra cabin. It ended up being only about $400 more to do an extra room. We went lower in the ship and put the girls in an inside cabin. Limits our ability to get upgraded (we won't) and limits the location if you need two rooms together. It thrilled the girls and since we want them to continue to enjoy traveling with us, it is as much of a test to see if this works as anything else.

We've survived 4 to a room. Watch overpacking, large suitcases and be sure to take an extension cord/surge protector for the extra hair dryers and extra hangers for the closet.
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Admiral

I just sailed on a Carnival ship, sharing a cabin with my brother and sister-in-law. We even liked each other at the end of the cruise, lol.

The cabin attendant will make up the berths while you're at dinner and take them down during the daytime. The only area you may have problems is closet and drawer space for four people's clothes. I'm sure you'll work it out somehow.

And, in Alaska you're in port every day. You'll be fine.

Anne

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:07 PM
First Mate

I have read it helps to bring an over the door shoe organizer. It can hold shoes, toiletry bags etc. helps free up counter space, and much easier for cabin attendant to clean up around. I also agree bring an extension outlet strip, this also comes in handy for charging cameras etc.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Cabin for 4 -- bad idea or do-able?

I had no idea about spa showers. Are they a free service? How many or how crowded? Thanks.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Admiral

We have done a quad on Carnival because their cabins are larger than most. However, we booked a cruise on RCCL and got two joining rooms because it was only about $150 more than a quad. I thought we'd appreciate the extra room, privacy and extra bathroom.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

If they were my daughters, I would do the quad so I wasn't worried all night that there were guys in their cabin and I wouldn't want to ruin the vacation by throwing some punks overboard. On the other hand, if it was with my sons, I'd get them their own cabin some booze and wish them luck. That is just me though.... here is a pic of our quad on the Enchantment. It was just me and my two boys so they had the bunks and I had the double on the bottom for entertaining while they were in Adventure Ocean.

Post Edited (05-17-05 12:03)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Adrian

Personally, I felt it was a bit too crowded. We just did the Star down to Mexico with our two boys - 6 & 16 and that was the one thing we would change was a larger cabin. It was very difficult getting in and out of bed because there is NO floor space between the three bunks. It was basically 3 twin beds crammed in right next to each other and I was under the pull down bunk with my 6 year old, so I would have to shimmy down to the end of the bed and squeeze out between the chair and the table, tripping over shoes and whatever else the kids had left on the floor. We also discovered that my teenager talks in his sleep and we all snore, so there was not a lot of sleeping going on at night.

DEFINITELY bring a night light. It's very odd waking up in a room without a window. It's pitch dark and unless you can see your watch you don't know if it's 3 in the morning or noon!

Other than that, we did have a fabulous time! We are just going with a bigger cabin or preferrably two cabins next time.

Thanks!

Adrian

Norweigan Star 4/22/05
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Admiral

it can be done, it will be tight, floor space is virtually non-exsistant. Bathroom planning with two teenage girls is going to be the big thing. Make sure you pack and extra outlet plug as there is only one outlet in the room. There will be no just throwing your stuff down(you know teenagers!!!), everything will have to be put away everytime it is taken out.
It couldn't hurt to look into the price difference between booking another inside cabin across the hall or sometimes its cheaper to book a mini-suite over two cabins.
Your one saving feature is the balcony.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Passenger

We had three in a very tiny cabin on an NCL ship a few years ago. It was wall to wall beds, but survivable. Due to lack of closet space, I took a few of those hangers that have room to hang like 4 pairs of pants, or 4 shirts, but only take up the space of one hanger. I read about one person who emptied their mini fridge, turned it off and used that for extra clothes storage. Stay away from the super huge suitcases and you should be fine. My girls actually left some of their clothes in the suitcase and just pulled it out when needed. We did not have shower trouble because I would shower like at 7 AM and then go get coffee. Usually by the time I got back, they were up and started on showers. I took some sticky notes and would leave a message on the mirror telling them where I had gone. Have a great time in Alaska, I know I did!
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM
First Mate

Have you thought of an inside room across the hall from you? We do that with our girls. It is worth the bathroom space if nothing else and doesn't cost much more.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Mikes Wifee

Let me also suggest the inside cabin across from your cabin! I know that sometimes 2 people in a cabin can be tight! Have a great cruise.