Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM
may

Default playstation

Does anyone know if we can bring the sony playstation console and hook it to stateroom TV of rour kids?
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: playstation

Which ship are you on? I researched Destiny and unless they changed tv-no inputs. A higher level cabin (11 or 12) in list says a VCR and they have inputs.
Now days some portable DVD players have inputs for gaming systems just need to do research on them.
I heard Camp Carnival has video games, as well as on board arcade.
When are you sailing?

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:31 AM
First Mate

Why on earth would you pay for a cruise experiance and allow the kids to sit in front of a TV? Just curious.

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Admiral

The last 3 cruises I took on Carnival I checked the T.V. and they had video input jacks. I like to hook up my video camera and watch my footage on the T.V.

Regards,
Thomas

P.S. If their kids idea of a vacation is to play video games then so be it. Nothing unusual about kids playing their games.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: playstation

I couldn't imagine my boys locking themselves up in the cabin playing playstation, and honestly, if I thought that was what they were going to do, I'd save the $$$ and leave them at home to do that. There is way to much to do on the ship than to be glued to a video game. I know that is the generation today that is doing that but... My boys were ages 12 and 4 last year when we cruised and I don't think any of us were in the cabin except to change and to sleep. Heck, they didn't even go to the arcade very much. There was just too much to do! Thats just my opinion though and we all have our own so...

- Freedom of the Seas
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Zina

Royal Caribbean has both Playstation and XBox in their Adventure Ocean Program. Your best bet would be to send them there. Great program with many age-appropriate activities. They may just decide that Playstation is boring by comparison. BTW, we just got off of Voyager, and I did let me son bring his GameBoy SP. Lots of kids had theirs and they had a great time battling each other between pool sessions!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:09 AM
Passenger

I can see many instances when my boys could make use of their Game Boys or a Playstation: when waiting for parents to shower and dress...when sitting outside by the pool...when relaxing for a bit before bed... when waiting for the rest of the family to wake up! Our Playstation is too bulky to take along, but those Game Boys will definitely be going! My boys have actually made friends with others because of those Game boys...it is a very common interest amongst their age group (9-12).
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

I do agree tha the Game Boys are worth bringing. My boys are older so they didn't bring theirs, but, I could definately see younger kids using theirs! Plus, they are much easier to pack than the Playstations. It would even be a good occupier on the plane!

- Freedom of the Seas
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:45 PM
venice

too bad due to 911 they don't do tours of the bridge anymore because that is the ultimate play station..many years ago when my son was little he got a tour and boy he still talks about it

fyi, as part of his fighter pilot training, they "play" an advance version of play station to keep their reflects sharp

gameboy is the way to go with your sons
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:59 PM
Captain

I see all the comments about the kids and the video games. My husband and I play cards and other games, why not the kids. What about the adults and the internet and their e:mail? What part of vacation are they just not understanding? Perfect ex-sample of why when we are on vacation we do not want contact, unless of extreme emergency. Our son's father in law, who was also a close friend, was killed on Friday before our ship docked on Sunday. There was nothing we could have done to change anything. When we found out on Sunday, my arms ached to hold and comfort my daughter in law. It was an anxious trip home. Think how bad it would have been if we had found out on Friday. We would have felt so helpless, useless and guilty.

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Playstation

Most of the newer ships have front or rear RCA jacks for connecting cameras and camcorders. A Playstation or gaming device should work.

I see little difference in a young person spending some time in the evening playing a Playstation game on the cabin TV or someone in the corner of the pool deck out of the sun reading a romance novel. Both have about the same level of social interaction and neither is affecting anyone else.

On a cruise you can do what you like in terms of your leisure time. I can see many times where a Playstation would come in handy such as when people are getting ready for dinner, before a shore excursions, before bed, or for those few hours of fill in time during a cruise. It is better than having a young person running the halls or playing in the elevators. I hear far more complaints about this.

Take care,
Mike (Who has yet heard a complaint about someone playing with their Playstation)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree that card and board games are fun, but from the sounds of it, you don't have any young children. Unfortunatley, this world is a technical world and gameboys and playstations are thier card and board games. Both make you interact and use your mind so I feel their is absoultely nothing wrong with people using them. As far as adults, if they want to check their email or browse the internet from time to time, I agree with the previous poster, what is the difference in that than from someone lounged reading up reading a book for hours at a time. Personally, as I said in my previous post, I think that bringing the playstation is overdoing it a little, but, if thats what keeps the kids happy and its not hurting anyone then so be it.

- Freedom of the Seas