Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Travel Insurance

Peter/Kuki

Maybe we're talking about two different countries and their policies? Is Peter talking about Canada and Kuki about the US??
I know my insurance doesn't cover any medical benefits out of the country. I will look into my credit cards. My mom's medicaid doesn't but her personal insurance covers some medical things.

P.S. Peter be happy that you are blessed with your coverage, but many of us don't.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
FodorsPeter

I give up.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Okay Peter - Blue Cross/Blue Shield, one of the largest insurance carriers in the U.S .DOES NOT cover medical evac. I asked them if ANY of their policies (not just mine) covered it and they said no. You could have something tailor-made, they said, if your company was interested in paying the astronomical rates, but it is not offered under any regular policy.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Travel Insurance

Thank you Dorothy,
That is the coverage I have.....while its decent, just doesn't cover things like that, I actually don't know of any that do? If Peter does, I hope he'll let us know....he said I didn't know what I was talking about..

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 24th, 2005, 10:46 AM
ubdkjrb

I understand what Peter is saying. I'm a Brit and sometimes feel this site ignores some of the different concerns we have as opposed to those in North America. I have an Alliance Leicester premier plus account crdit card and I have free travel insurance. It covers trip interuption, medical expenses incurred abroad and lost or stolen articles. It isn't as broad a coverage as some I could buy, but it does provide me with what I'm comfortable with. As he says, my homeowners policy covers lost or stolen items.

Travel insurance with credit cards is much more prevelent here in the UK that it is in the
States, but I do know there are some over there that do have it.
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

FodorsPeter (corp.tyson.com)

ubdkjrb (corp.tyson.com)

mmmmmmmmm <VBG>

Old June 27th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Beginner

Jodi,
How do you get those cute icons on your page?

Old July 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM
First Mate

An interesting and informative article from Consumer's Reports regarding travel insurance can be seen at :

http://www.kevincoffee.com/travel/tr...d_i_get_it.htm
Old July 8th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Beginner

Just a little FYI for others looking into whether to purchase travel insurance or not:

My health insurance policy with Schaller Anderson Healthcare DOES cover med-evac and foreign country treatment, so if you have insurance through them you may want to check out your policy.

My husband's health insurance policy with CIGNA only covers emergency services when out of the country.

Also, my Bank of America platinum credit card offers some loss coverages as long as whatever is lost was purchased through the credit card (i.e., lost baggage = airfare must have been purchased on credit card).

I would think the moral of the story, so to speak, would be like anything else - Do your research. Check out your current coverage through your health insurance, homeowners insurance, credit cards, etc. to find out what you're already paying for...then purchase travel insurance coverage for gaps or limitations, if any. A couple hours on the telephone or online at the company websites could save you some money, which I'm sure we can all agree is a good thing.

Old July 11th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Familiar Face

Kuki, Thanks for the advice about he web site http://insuremytrip.com

I just looked at two of their offers and my wife and I decided to go with Travel Insured. The plan was right for us as well as the price.

This is our first cruise and we need all the information we can get. By the way Kuki, I loved the articles you posted for the first time travelers in the cruise guide. A fantastic balance of information and humor. Thanks again

Valor Jan 8, 2006
Triumph May 12 2007
Triumph November 3,2007
Liberty November 22, 2008
Miracle March 4, 2010
Glory Jan 16, 2011
Spirit Sept 11, 2012
Fascination September 22, 2014 Kansas Concert, Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I for one will not travel without travel insurance. I, too, have Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employee Program (excellent insurance) and they do not cover med evac. Also, unless the physician/hospital is participating (which I'd be willing to doubt they are in a foreign country), I am responsible for 20% of the difference in what the fee is and what the insurance will pay. That can really add up.

Insurance for myself and my husband for a standard 7 day cruise including air runs about $95 total. We've had to cancel two cruises because of an illness that arose, and we would have been out about $6,000.00 That $95 was money well spent.

So Peter, which credit card covers if you have to cancel your cruise? None of mine seem to.
Old July 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
chyna_c

Here is my penny's worth....

I THINK another one of the other big reasons for Trip Insurance was the fact that a provider (cruise line) could go bankrupt and you lose all your money IF you didn't have travel insurance (this seemed to be a huge problem about 4 years ago when many smaller lines just closed their doors) AND the post 9/11 situation most "regular" insurance polices will not cover acts of war and/or terrorism and many of the travel insurance policies do (you DO have to research carefully) this is my first cruise not leaving from my homeport (Tampa) someone could have just pushed me out of a car if need be

I think the basic message here is, IF you aren't sure what coverage you have and you don't want to spend countless hours researching it, the easy way is to buy the additonal travel insurance coverage.

I know at one point most of the major credit card companies were offering trip coverage FREE of charge BUT....most went to fee based services about ten years ago. I remember the days when VISA or Mastercard would extend (double) the warranty on any item you purchased with them as well. But I haven't seen that one in a long time. I think the point is well taken that what is offered in one country might not be offered in another country.

Just like rental cars, most of your regular car insurance WILL cover your rental car but with the high cost of auto insurance who wants to risk filing a claim on their regular policy and the possibility of facing higher premiums or cancellation??? Just like anything in life it is a gamble, if you feel you can afford the loss, I say more power to you!

Want a real education in insurance....get hit with a hurricane and see what your homeowners does NOT cover! I think many of us in Florida got some major rude awakenings last year and now are faced with 30% higher homeowner's insurance rates and which covers LESS. We have a seperate hurricane deductible which USED to be only $1000 now it is 2% figure that up on a $150K house!! OK, OFF my soapbox.

Great posts in this thread!

Like the commerical says "don't leave home without it!" (peace of mind that is!)