Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:39 AM
BAS

Default Balcony view

How can you tell whether your balcony will have an obstructed view or not? We booked months ago so it's probably too late - I was so excited to get a balcony and now I'm reading people's posts that say about obstructed views from lifeboats! We are on RCL Adventure of the Seas, 7th level. Can you look at the website and find out?
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Balcony view

I've never heard of a balcony with an obstructed view, although I have heard of an occassional "partially obstructed view" with balconies, but usually that has to do with something very slight, having to do with the curvature of the ship, and doesn't effect the view at all. It's been my experience that obstructed views are something you would encounter on older ships, and with an outside room (no balcony). Noramlly, a lifeboat is situated right outside the window. If you know your cabin's location and can look at a deck view on-line, that should tell you. Apart from that, check out the category. Most brochures will color code such rooms and the pricing will be on a par with an inside room, due to the obstruction. If you still can't figure it out, call the cruise line, give them your room number, and they can tell you first hand.
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can look in a brouchure or even on the web-site and view the deck plans, hopefully you won't have an abstructed view, happy cruising.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Yeoman

Email me your cabin # and I can look at it in my book.
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Balcony view

Looking at on line deck plans will not help you. To make yourself feel better, call the cruise line directly. But you can be sure if there is any type of "Obstruction" it will not be anything you will need to be concered about. It you had an ocean view instead of a balcony then I would say you might have a real "Obstructed view".
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:23 PM
claude gareau

Hi,
As everyother mate said, if you have a Verandha or balcony cabin, you're
likely to have no obstruction what so-ever. You may however have some '' nuisance''
such as : overhang, deck 9, Millie class; the '' hump'' on some of the Radiance class
or Mille class ships,where the decks '' widen out'' partway and create a mini-corner
affecting a bit of your sight lines; scattered decks resulting if your balcony with
partial roof,thuspartial privacy, etc.....But that's about as bad as it would get on a
balcony state room.

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

Happy sailing
Cheers
CG
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Admiral

its not something that you need to worry about. The majority of obstructed view cabins are not balcony cabin, they are window cabins, If you look at your deck plans, go to the key and look for obstructed view, or partially obstructed view, it will tell you which cabins these are.
We had a partially obstructed view on one of our cruises and it was the bottom of the lifeboats hanging down, covering about 1/4 at the most of our window. We could still see out, just if you looked up you would see the bottoms of the lifeboats
Old July 16th, 2005, 07:50 AM
BAS

Thanks, everyone! I am relieved and very excited about sitting on our balcony!
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Yeoman

There IS one more obstruction that I find annoying in some balconies and suites. Some balconies look strait down on the lifeboats or balconies below you, so on some you cannot see strait down to the water.