Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default iron on ships

Could someone please tell me if their are irons in the cabins, We will be sailing the Carnival Legend August 9th 2005?
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: iron on ships

Definitely not! Some time ago the cruise industry decided that irons were a fire hazzard and banned them. However, a few individual ships have public laundry rooms where irons are provided as a courtesy. IMHO, irons are a lot less of a fire hazard than the fact that smoking is permitted in the cabins. If I were cruise management, I'd be a whole lot more concerned about an intoxicated passenger passing out in bed with a lit cigarette than a (more than likely) sober passenger pressing out the wrinkles in a shirt. I don't understand why irons and ironing boards can't be provided in each stateroom (as they are in virtually all hotels/motels these days), and if fire is the real reason irons are banned, why not purchase the kind with automatic shut-offs? True there is laundry and pressing service provided for a charge on board, but this is not something that's practical when you want to wear the garment right away.
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Carnival has self-service laundry on each passenger deck, each laundry room has an iron.
Cruisecrazy2 - the reason that irons are considered a fire hazzard by the cruise line, is the fact that if the ship pitched or rolled, the iron could fall to the floor, onto the bed and catch them on fire.
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

...assuming the iron was left unattended, I suppose that could happen. But it still doesn't make sense that passengers can smoke in their cabins. If a lit cigarette was left in an ashtray and the ship pitched or rolled, the ashtray and lit cigarette could fall to the floor, onto the bed and catch them on fire just as easily.
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM
cali-croozer

As stated above, there will be a laundry room on each deck. Just don't try to use it on formal night...............plan ahead and avoid the crowds.
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Katerina

Just hang the wrinkled outfit on the back of the bathroom door and have a shower - the steam will take out the wrinkles and no iron needed. Works for me!
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Try Downey Wrinkle Releaser found in the laundry area of Target or WalMart. Works great on many types of material. I still bring my little travel iron but am very careful and I don't smoke. FYI - RCI ships do not have self service laundry rooms like Carnival does. Has to be sent out.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Admiral

The Downy Wrinkle Release works great! I was skeptical about it when I first saw it mentioned on these boards, but tried it and it really works.

If smoking was not allowed in the cabins there would be a lot of people who wouldn't cruise. (See Paradise-the first non-smoking ship, now a "regular" ship) Besides, how would they monitor this? Would the cabin stewards risk losing their tips by reporting that someone was smoking? As long as smoking is legal, people will smoke. I've never heard of anyone causing a fire in their cabin because they were smoking. It may have happened, but I've never heard of it.

MOST people who smoke are very careful, not just on ships, but everywhere else.

JMO,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Familiar Face

Right on Fern. The object is to decrease the chances of fire as much as possible and I applaud the cruise lines for not having them in cabins. As for smoking, you nailed it....impossible to police.

Old July 26th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Buy a cheap 7.00 iron from walmart,target,or kmart and pack it in your bag aong with a extension cord,and a can of spray starch.Also bring along some detergent,because mid way during the cruise you will want to wash your favorite wear.
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Convert:
You can go in and edit your profile and change your email. Click on "My profile" at the bottom of this thread and then click "Edit Profile" and make the change. When your done, click the "update" button at the bottom.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

My appologies to any smokers out there--no offense intended. I have no problem with people smoking in their cabins. What I was trying to say is that I find it illogical that irons are banned, but smoking is not, and IMO, both can be a fire hazard if not used carefully. I believe we are all adults and understand the serious danger of fire at sea. Therefore, in the interest of passenger comfort and convenience, I believe both should be permitted.