Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Brenda Villa

Default Collapsble Coolers

I bought a collaspble cooler on wheels,it will hold 40 cans.. I read that you can check it at the port and it will be delivered to your room. Has anyone did this and does the cooler stay in good condition.
If I choose to carry it on will there be a problem, it's 30X30X30apprx size.

Brenda
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2005, 01:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Collapsble Coolers

I think the size limit is 11 X 17 inches and 50 lbs. If it will go thru airport security then it will be ok at the port. I do believe you have to be discrete with your soda carry on or you may not be allowed it. Reasonable amount is what the website says I think. Good luck.

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Brenda Villa

Denise, thanks for the help. Will fill it with bottles of water and hope it'll get on OK.. DH nor myself drink soda's.
We'll be sure and watch the weight, I guessed at the size DH says it not that big..

Brenda
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:48 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Collapsble Coolers

As has been said so many times on this board, the water on ships is very, very good, and probably as good or better than bottled water. You can save yourself a lot of hassle by leaving your 40 bottles of water at home.
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:06 AM
rosetattoo

On a cruise in May on the Valor, my daughter packed 6 small bottles of water (16.9 oz.) and 6 cans of Coke in her carry-on and Security asked her what she had in the bag and opened her luggage and actually counted the water and soda. I don't know what the "reasonable" amount allowed on board is but they stopped my daughter and searched her luggage for 6 small bottles of water and 6 cans of soda. The 2 liter bottles of water that will be placed in your stateroom by Carnival, (I believe) are $3.50 per bottle. When we run out of water, we either go the the restaurant on the Lido Deck and fill up our bottles or purchase bottled water at the islands we stop at.
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Brenda -i seriously doubt that a 40 can cooler will be allowed, that is way more than what the cruise line would consider "resonable" You can bring a few bottles of water in your carry-on and then refill them from the tap in your room. The ships water is wonderful, its pure and filtered, better than bottled, it is warm from the tap so you will need to chill it. Leave the big cooler at home.
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:30 PM
BoosterMom

The water is wonderful on the ship AND for $3.50 you get a really big bottle of really great water in your stateroom. One big bottle lasted 2 of us several days. It was worth the $3.50 rather than having to lug water on board. The water at the bars and at meals was so good and they have this great ice that won't break your teeth when you chew on it! Buy the soda card, it's cheaper than dragging that cooler around AND having to go back to your room to get refills.............My daughters got the soda card, but ordered room service a lot. Since Cokes are charged for in a room service order, they ordered juice which was free..................So that's what all those people in Miami two weeks ago were dragging suitcases in the line with, 40 cans of soft drinks and water..............
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Yeoman

Each of you carry on a small water bottle. Then - when they are empty, fill the on board. Don't pay for the bottled water in your rooms. The water on board is a pure as anything you get in your bottled water. If each of you carry one bottle on board then you'll have that bottle to fill the rest of your trip. Be sure not to leave an empty one out on the counter in your cabin, as they may think it is trash when cleaning and throw it away!
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I also had a cooler, and a case of bottled water. It is something i will never do again. I thought that you couldn't find anything off the ship to drink, and would need to take more, i also thought the water on ship would be bad, and none of this was true. What i will take is my water, Tea cup, with the lid on it, to use on the ship. It will be a lot less heavy, and more useful.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Luanne makes a great point. You don't need to bring everything including the "kitchen sink" on your cruise, the ships are very well-stocked,and at most you are two days from an island where you can go to the store.
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:06 PM
First Mate

I think I read somewhere two twelve packs may be the considered normal limit.
We were in San Juan, got on ship and then off again--purchased 2 twelve packs and a small flat water--put in a backpack, carried water thru-no problem.
As everyone said --always juices, ice tea, lemonade to drink for free. As far as fountain card-first time got one for our son--turned out to be a waste--he was limited to what could be filled from the bar fountain gun (squirter) and given a flimsy plastic cup, not a can. Bartender said they were accountable for can count. So unless they changed things not worth a fountain card value.
Also keep in mind water in buffet dining area is highly filtered, they are not referring to tap water in cabin.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:52 PM
schaferk

Default Re: Collapsble Coolers/alcohol

Does anyone know if alcohol can be brought on board on Carnival? I've heard it would be confiscated.
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Passenger

I just purchased a small insulated bag for our cruise. I had read a suggestion that was to order room service the night before (get a sandwich) & grab a couple of cookies from the buffet. Then, you can have your lunch (or a snack if you prefer) with you at the beach or on an excursion...might save some money. The bag I purchased came from Dick's Sporting Goods and was $9.99 -collapses very small (will fit in suitcase or carry on easily). It'll probably hold a small lunch for my husband & myself.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Cruisegirl,
We've done this several times. Just be sure to read the daily paper for ports where it's prohibited. We've seen many "lunches" confiscated.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302