Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM
kim6671

Default Bringing wine

Can we bring wine on in our suitcases? If so, does anyone know how much can be brought on?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:12 PM
reverendjeff

Default Re: Bringing wine

Yes you can bring wine on board. Most lines have a corkage fee they charge, on NCL it is $15 per bottle. I bring it in my carry on and they remove it from me at the terminal, post my cabin number on it and i order it at the dining room table, chilled.
The wine I bring is usually gifts I recieve and in that way $15 per bottle is a great price.
Old August 10th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Admiral

$15 for someone to uncock a bottle of wine seems like an AWFUL lot to me!!! I mean, what does it take, 10 seconds to pop the top????

And RCCL states that because "their regulatory and licensing requirements", liquor may not be brought on board. What the heck does that mean in plain English?? I'm sure it just means "we want to make as much money off of you, so you cannot bring a bottle or two onboard".

Post Edited (08-10-05 15:31)

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

When you obtain a liquor license you are subject to a LOT of red tape / regulations / taxes / scrutiny etc. I don't know exactly how those laws apply to foreign corproations who operate cruise ships, but there are taxes to be paid on the alcohol & there are a lot of concerns about the behavior of drunken guests. It's easier to control / monitor that if the license holder knows how much alcohol the guest consumed. More importantly, when you don't puchase the alcohol from the ship you are still using their personnel, their glasses which need to be brought to your table and later removed & washed. All of that service has a cost. Part of teh fee is also to discourage you from doing this. Traditionally, the corkage fees were charged recoup those costs when a special bottle not on the wine list was requested. Now it's to combat people who may be tempted to overindulge.
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Yes you can bring wine I ALWAYS do.Make sure to bubble wrap each individually before packing.Also tip your porters a buck per bag extra to make SURE!! it arrive safe,and sound.
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Admiral

the policy varies from cruise line to cruise line - for instance on Princess you are allowed to bring aboard a reasonable amount of wine or champagne for your own personal consumption. Put it in your carry-on - they will not take it from you. IF you bring your wine to the dining room to drink with your dinner expect to pay the corkage fee - on Princess it was $9.00 per bottle. IF you want to drink your wine in your room, all you have to do is ask your room steward for the glassess. - Pack your corkscrew in your checked baggage.
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:58 PM
First Mate

Can you bring wine on Carnival???
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:45 PM
kris schafer

Can you bring beer, pop or bottled water on Carnival?
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:07 PM
becca23

What is the best way to bring wine,etc onto the Mercury out of San Diego?
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:30 PM
Denny

We always bring 2 bottles of our favorite wine when we cruise. The cruise lines usually do not have the type of wine we like. We have never had a problem with bringing it on board. We generally have a drink in our cabin before dinner. Once in a while we do bring it to dinner. No one has ever charged us a corkage fee, or suggested we pay one. If they had, we would have paid it. We have found the waiters to be helpful, even to the point of bringing a chilling bucket to our table.