Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:36 PM
First Mate

Default Rent a scooter in Grand Cayman????????

Kuki and others: Please advise us on a shoretour that is renting a scooter
and touring the Grand Cayman Island. Carnival does not recommend
renting scooters, parasailing, etc. Is this a shoretour that should be avoided? It is through an independent agency. Thank you for your
advise.
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Yeoman

Personally I wouldnt rent a scooter. They drive on the other side in Caymans, and traffic can be very heavy at times. Leave the driving to the natives!

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Admiral

personally i would not do it. The roads are very narrow, they drive on the left, and i would not want to get hurt while on vacation, too many stories of tourists getting banged up bruised and hurt on scooters.
Grand Caymen isn't the best island for touring- its small, its flat and there are only a couple of highlights on the island- if you want to tour the island - hire a local cabbie and let him give you the locals tour.
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would also have to agree with the previous posters, we did just that, and while it was fun, DH rode off the road and fell off, we ended up almost missing the ship because he was in the ER. It was nothing terribly serious, and no one else had any problems, including me... I'd suggest snorkeling with the Rays if you haven't already done that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 21st, 2005, 02:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Even though it was great fun to tour Grand Cayman by scooters the maintenance is not always the best on these cycles. We had a group that did this including Donna and other CruiseMates. The one I got had little power so those large trucks passed us leaving one heck of a wind to throw us off while driving. Being on the opposite side of the road what we are use to was another challenge. As we got into the cruise port the locals and cars had little respect for scooters.

The roads are not the best, pot holes and other obstructions that can cause the inexperienced harm.

Would we do it again .. NO. But do have to admit once out of town and the countryside we did have a good time.

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver _ Alaska _ Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Old December 21st, 2005, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Thank you all so much for your input. We will not be renting scooters.
Sounds too unsafe.!!
Happy Sailing................
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:03 PM
Admiral

I am very experianced on motorcycles etc and while it did not think it was bad as far as traffic goes or the roads I can also see where driving on the opposite side of the road is a real hazard. We were also with Donna and George and George appeared to be a good rider. His scooter basically locked up when in a curve and he went straight off the road and crashed. While he was hurt with a broken collar bone and ribs and bad road rash it was not too serious and he managed to get out of the ER in time to get on the ship for departure. The people at the scooter place were quite unconcerned when we told them and we even had a Police Officer inform them. Their equipment was quite poorly maintained and I turned down the first bike as it was literally falling apart before I got out of the lot. The second one was also in poor condition but it was such that it could be controlled. George's was sudden and he did not have a prayer going into that curve. Don't do it unless you are really a professional and do a complete exam before taking the equipment. I do mean a professional as in someone that did or does it for a living and not just an experianced rider. It is dangerous.
Jim