Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Default Sailing on the 14th, temp question

We're going on our first (hopefully not last) cruise. We'll be sailing out of Norfolk aboard the Massdam on the 14th of March. Heading to the Southern Caribbean, would like to hear from anyone who as taken a similar cruise around this time of year what the temps are like especially early in the AM say around 7ish. I thought it would be nice to have coffee on the deck while waiting for the rest of my party to wake and go have breakfast and was wondering if a light weight sweat suit would be comfortable or if it will already be warm enough for shorts???

Thanks a bunch, this site has been a great help....
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Admiral

I have not sailed from Norfolk, but I just returned from there last night. Based on my 4 day visit I can tell you that the weather can be very unpredictable. When we arrived there Friday the weather was lovely. It was about 50-60 degrees and sunny. However when we got to our condo which was Oceanfront on Virginia Beach the wind from the ocean was really blowing and we needed jackets as we became chilled very quickly. The next day was much the same. However, Sunday the wind was blowing at gale force, the surf was rough with very high waves, the whale watching tour was cancelled and the temps plummeted. It had to have been 20-30 degrees and felt even colder than that.
It is possible that you may get lucky and sail during a warm snap, but I wouldn't count on it. I'd pack something warm just in case and take a warm coat. Lets hope you don't need it. Bring your binoculars, you may get to see some whales on this trip.
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Default would like Caribbean temps

Thanks, Beenie Weenie. Actually though I was asking about the temps down in the Caribbean. My sister and her family have lived in Norfolk area for 35 years so I know all about the variant temps in that area!!!!!!!! My husband will be thrilled by the thought of seeing whales. did a whale watching trip to Cape Cod a few years ago and he just loved it......
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Oh sorry, the temps in the Caribbean will be lovely. Pack your shorts and summer clothes for sure.
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Admiral

i always pack a lightweight sweater or zip-front sweatshirt, and a pair of cotton knit pants exactly for the reason you mentioned. 9 times out of 10 you will be in your shorts. We always sit out on our balcony in the am in our robes and are fine.